1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I bring up the possibility of me being transgender?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Naos210, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Naos210

Something I found that is claimed by those who deny those being transgender, is that they just hate their gender. For example, a woman knows she is a woman, but just hates being one. Maybe she'll try to be a boy by dressing like one, attempting to look more like one, but just knows deep down, that no matter how hard she tries, she'll still be a woman, and I have actually known this has happened. She isn't transgender, she just doesn't like being a woman, maybe for some reason, it isn't beneficial to her or hinders her for whatever reason. Coming from a male who does apparently "hates their gender", I do feel that doesn't automatically invalidate me from possibly being transgender. But... just bringing up the possibility (not coming out as transgender, just the possibility), to maybe go in to see a doctor to see if I truly do have gender dysphoria... I am worried that I will be just labeled as hating my gender. I always got pushed to be a "hardcore man" by my father, and I was always pushed to be more masculine, despite me drifting more towards the feminine route, I was "forced" to go the other way. So I'm really worried what people will think. Unlike some people, I don't really drop many hints except for my more feminine voice I can't help, or me being more comfortable with females than most guys are (like I can play that "girlfriend" sort of role), but it's pretty subtle, and outside of that, nothing. While people have pointed out my femininity and seem to be fine with it, I am occasionally teased for it. Plus, having social anxiety doesn't help.

And the main person I feel I can trust talking about it to... I don't think she'll even care. Let's set aside the fact I have romantic feelings for her, the friendship doesn't feel very mutual. I have to go out of my way to talk to her, but when I do, and we get talking, we get along so well, and I do sense a bit of sincerity in her at those moments. But, besides her, I really don't have anyone in my life to talk to about this. I've never had best friends or anything of the sort. Any advice on what to do? I just feel without anyone to support me, I'm just stuck.

Edit: I see I might have typed this in the wrong section, but I don't see me being able to change that.

#1 Naos210, Mar 9, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  2. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First off, I'd like to say that you are correct in saying that there are people who hate being their assigned gender, but that it does not make them transgender. At least that is how I feel about the topic. The Transgender Spectrum is quite complicated. For some people, it is closer to body dysmorphia, than actual gender dysphoria...if that makes sense. And it also can be linked to expected gender roles.

Which ties into your second issue. You have been pushed into being a "hardcore male" when you are really more feminine in nature. Does that make you less of a man? Not at all. Many famous creatives had the same problem you do! They were bullied by fathers or brothers to do something more "manly" than paint and write poetry. :lol:

Being true to yourself is all that is important. There are people out there who truly would appreciate your characteristics as a partner. So don't let your family get you down. We all are born with some sort of difficulty to bear, but I'm sure you will find your way.

So, I guess my advice to you would be to think things through carefully, before you dive in and say you might be transgender. You could be just a naturally more feminine cis male. It happens.

All the best,

Sebby45

#2 Sebby45, Mar 10, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  3. Naos210

Thank you for the response, but I wasn't going to strictly say I was transgender, but maybe just say that I'm concerned and need to see a doctor of some sort.