1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions for trans people living in UK. NHS/name change etc

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by KennedyM, Mar 10, 2017.

1. KennedyM

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello Everyone,
    I am 20 years of age and biologicaly born female..

I am currently in the progress of figuring myself out, I feel I am transgender (ftm) and this feeling is becoming more stronger and I have been like this for 10months now. My parents are aware of this and they are ok-ish with it. I have a appointment with the gender clinic but I have to wait 2 years to see them. (Through NHS)..

I have a few questions for some people (UK) who have been through this process already, if you could give me an insight of the gender clinics in the U.K. I can't really go private, I have strong feelings about transitioning into a male also. Just them doubts are mainly fear of society, regret, being rejected, not finding a job etc. But how did you find the gender clinics were they helpful, did they turn you away?, do they give you a lot of support, what happened next?..

Also, I like my Name (Kennedy/Ken) I feel it is a nutural name for me I don't find it female at all and I'm comfortable with it. Would you need to change your name alongside your gender even though I don't want to change my name? And what is the process to change your gender to male? Is it hard or is it ok to go through. I have no clue how hard this is going to be for me and it's even harder having to go through it alone.

Hopefully these 2 years will be worth the wait.

2. randomconnorcon

I can't really answer the clinic questions, because I'm still waiting for that (unless I can afford private first, then hell yeah am I gonna do it because the NHS wait is ridiculous). But I can answer the others a bit.

No, you don't have to change your name. Kennedy is gender neutral and a cool name, so if you like it, awesome. To change your gender marker from female to male, you need a letter from your gender therapist. It's pretty easy to google if you want to read up on it, it's actually on the FAQs of at least some of the gender clinic websites (Charing Cross/West London Mental Health for sure), but the therapist can generally help you with that because it's not like changing your name, which is pretty easy by deed poll, because it goes to people who review it and shit first.

#2 randomconnorcon, Mar 10, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2017