1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trans Prom Concerns

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by FurryDaFox, Mar 10, 2017.

1. FurryDaFox

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hey,

Context: Currently I'm out to my parents although they aren't being fully supportive and I'm out to some of my friends.

Our school prom is coming up in a couple of months and by then I should be out to all of my friends. However, I'm getting really stressed over how I would present at prom. It's a huge opportunity to truly be me and yet I'm still very hesitant.

I'm not sure how my parents would react if I went in a dress and I'm not sure whether I'd feel hncomfortable about presenting as female so soon after coming out to friends. So, my main question is; what should I do? Should I go presenting as female or play it safe and go in a suit? As I'm writing this the answer seems obvious but I wanted some opinions, advice and just to unload these feelings.

Thanks, Kim xx

2. Najlen

I think you should wear whatever will make you happy. It's prom, it's supposed to be fun. If you're not comfortable wearing a dress you don't have to, I'm personally of the opinion that women look awesome in suits. If you would rather wear a dress and you feel comfortable doing so, that's great too! You might want to try and test the waters with your parents on that before you decide though. A good way to do that could be to bring up transgender issues in conversation and see how they react. But if it would make you uncomfortable to the point where you couldn't enjoy the dance, it might be better not to do it. You could wear an accessory that makes you feel more feminine maybe.

3. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That is why I didn't go to prom. Luckily I got sick too, so I had an excuse. I wanted to wear a suit...not a dress.

So I never went to any formal school functions, other than graduation!

But it is your choice. If you finally want to come out, go for it!
    I just have a preference for clothes so that is what hindered me, but for you things are different. Be who you are!

#3 Sebby45, Mar 11, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2017