1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

supports at work for transition?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by looking for me, Mar 10, 2017.

1. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    so i came out to my regional manager about being trans last week.:thumbsup: she was very supportive and asked what supports i would need from the management team and my colleagues in my transition.

so, suggestions? if it was you, what would you like to see?

and..... go...

tia

2. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know. I think just knowing your coworkers aren't assholes and will still treat you right would be mine.

3. shawnTN

That is my fear, is how many of my coworkers will turn on me. I'm sure management would be supportive, if not solely to be compliant with equal opportunity law.

Best of luck to you! :eusa_clap

4. Just Jess

I'm not saying this is what is happening, but this kind of thing - "what do you need" - has been used as a delaying tactic with me. I thought everyone was supportive, then they'd continually drag their feet with everything, and eventually I was getting "miss" in the office from everyone EXCEPT my boss and HR. You probably have an awesome job and this isn't a concern, my case was probably just extreme. But just in case whatever plan you come up with should pass both these tests :

* It should leave you with a lot of control over what happens. E.g. you decide the day you're comfortable enough to come in to the office as you
    * Parts you can't control, for example if they decide to make everyone in the office go through some kind of HR training as an insurance measure, need to have exact days and dates, and whether they are made or missed, they can't for example prevent you from coming out when you'd like

I strongly suggest you visit a local LGBT center if one exists near you and get their help coming up with a plan.

---------- Post added 12th Mar 2017 at 08:41 AM ----------

I'm not trying to be a debbie downer. Congrats on coming out to your boss, and I am sure they are genuinely supportive and truly just want to see you succeed :slight_smile:

5. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well this a topic near and dear to my heart seeing as April 4th is my day I come out at work and pretty much everyone in the world.

Find good friends and allies. People who support you insulate you from assholes and that isn't just lgbt advice.

6. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    good luck to you on the 4th hun. (*hug*) and yes that is sage advise in any regard.

i honestly dont know how this will go over with the people i work with every day. we have a mix of very conservative, to people who claim to be open but make statements that make me think otherwise. and a couple who probably wont understand but wont hassle me.

when i get as far down this path as you are this will be me. im on my second week and patches go slower than pills but eventually i'll have to because, hopefully, boobies and bum.... among other changes lol.

i made a couple notes, like respect, feeling safe, knowing upper management has my back ( i also the the provincial Human Rights Commission on my side, and gender identity and expression is written into the act.)

any other items to add?

#6 looking for me, Mar 12, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  7. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    meeting with the regional manager for a follow up meet tomorrow, any last minute advise, suggestions?