1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where can I find SAFE binders?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Airisofparis, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Airisofparis

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I'm kind of wanting to get a binder that's affordable. But I don't know if that even possible. Anyway I've asked before and I've been told about amazon binders which I've also been told they are dangerous. So I just want to know where I can find safe binders for not to much in the UK. Even if there second hand I don't mind.

2. Worker Bee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there. I hope you find what you are looking for.

3. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Your best bet is honestly to save up a bit of money and go with a decent quality binder. A decent quality binder can go for as low as $30, and even lower, which isn't bad really - compare that to the average price of a good, structured bra. Yes, you can find cheap ones on amazon and ebay, but those are generally for cosplay - they work fine, but the quality is so-so, and these are the more dangerous option if you bind frequently.

Yes, I did say MORE dangerous...the thing is, binding can be dangerous even with a good binder, if you're not careful. General rule of thumb is, you should never bind for more than 8 hours. You should never wear your binder to bed. And you should give yourself some time off of binding, maybe every 3rd day or so. I'm very busy any more, all the time, so I'm often out of the house for well over 8 hours. I've found myself binding for 15 hours or more, depending on the circumstances. And even though I wear my good quality binder when I'm out and about for an extended period of time, I think I might have hurt my ribs from binding for too long. So more recently, I've had to bind less, and stick with a compression sports bra, even though it doesn't get me nearly as flat - I don't want to risk any injuries that might prevent me from getting top surgery.

If you really need SOMETHING, those cheap binders do work - I've tried them, and I still have a few that look like tank tops for wearing out in the summer time. But if you bind just about every day, they will wear out quickly. And again, they're less structured, and more dangerous, than something of better quality. I DEFINITELY wouldn't recommend them for every day use, and I wouldn't chance wearing them for more than 8 hours.

Don't bother trying DIY unless you're secretly a master tailor. And don't try ace bandages or wraps. I tried the latter for a while. They wouldn't stay in place and they restricted my breathing. Not worth it, even if you're desperate.