1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Military as masculine rite of passage?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Kodo, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've often felt conspicuously drawn to enlist in the military and serve for a few years. My father did not, nor do any of my six my brothers intend to. My grandfathers on both sides of the family did.

However, when I consider why the military instead of a career in the arts or sciences then I am conflicted. I realize now that, on some level, serving in the military is a kind of masculine rite of passage. And the part of me craving for so long to be viewed as male, wished to fulfill that notion of "honorable duty" instilled in me at a young age.

When I consider it rationally, there are both advantages and disadvantages to serving. I would be independent of my family with a stable job, but my transition could be delayed. I am not sure military is my life's calling, but perhaps a few years there would be better than striving through part time retail jobs for years. Then sometimes I think it isn't my place to be in the military at all. I could be a liability for being trans, as I am medically dependent on hormone therapy and surgeries. Not to mention, I am not sure as to the reaction where things are so unstable for trans rights in the US, and whether I'd be in any danger.

Anyone have thoughts on this? And also, do you think transgender men should readily enlist (or be drafted) as cisgender men? Have you (or do you intend to) serve in your country's military?

2. Makalaster

Personally, I wouldn't enlist since most of the people there are overly masculine men. I don't intend to enlist since I don't support the military as in industry. If you could deal with a bunch of bros all day then go ahead more power to you. I feel like if you enlisted as a cis male it could bring gender dysphoria.

3. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I apologize. My wording was a bit off. I meant "enlist as cisgender men do" and not enlist as if they were cisgender, which they are not. I meant to say whether the same should be asked of trans men as is asked of cis men when it comes to enlistment.

#3 Kodo, Mar 11, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  4. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The only reason I ever considered joining the military was because I wanted a way to afford college, but as it is i have 2 auto-immune diseases that make it impossible to join.

I think a lot of trans men get drawn to the military because of the masculine aspect. But don't join if that is the only reason you wish to.

5. Cinis

Cinis Guest

I actually considered going into the military for very similar reasons.
    Adding to your reasons would be somehow proving myself as masculine in comparison to my brothers who weren't in the military and other "masculine" people. ( also college money and making some experiences you wouldn't make elsewhere)

In the end I decided against it since I'm bad at concentration, the fact that many people here view people that join the military as stupid and several mental health concerns my mother brought up.

---------- Post added 12th Mar 2017 at 05:44 PM ----------

Well..some of the physical feats could be harder for trans men. So it would make sense to apply the same rules one would apply to women in that department ( much as it sucks)

6. Cailan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I served in the Navy and really loved it. I didn't know at the time I was trans, but now I understand why it appealed to me so much. As a bi-gender person it made me comfortable knowing the men and women wore almost the exact same thing on an everyday basis, but I could still have my skirts.

And you can serve openly and transition while in the military these days, and they'll even cover the cost of your transition. The military has come a LONG way over the past few years. There will always be asshats, but there are asshats everywhere.

That applies to the Marines and the Army, but the Navy and Air Force are more tech and job speciality related and there aren't all that many "overly masculine men" in those services, so unless you're trying for the SEALs, you won't find a lot of bros in the Navy.

Which brings up an interesting observation. Why do I hear so many FtMs dis on masculine men? I'm more comfortable around the masculine bros than average or more feminine men, probably because my male side IS a masculine bro. If I hang out with the guys as a guy, this is the type I prefer to socialize with. What is it about bros that make this type of male so problematic to FtMs?

7. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think because a lot of FtM aren't overly masculine. We all have some part of us that is feminie or average in some way.

In my experience people you are hyper masculine come off as major assholes. Hyper masculine people tend to be what comes to mind when someone thinks of toxic masculinity.
    I'm not overly comfortable with hyper feminine men either. Usually because with the ones I know there tends to be a shit ton drama always happening with them.