1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it still dysphoria if there's no focus?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Hats, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Hats

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The other day I got the slow slide up to female and then just as it stopped I got dumped on by massive wave of feeling truly awful. It just hit me like hammer. But there was no obvious cause. I couldn’t say, “I feel like utter trash because my body is wrong or people will perceive me incorrectly.” It was just sheer distress. Is this still dysphoria?

2. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is still dysphoria

3. Hats

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Damn. :icon_sad:

4. EverDeer

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Do you have depression as well? It could be that, though if you're certain that you already experience gender dysphoria, then yes the pain could've very well just been that because often the symptoms of dysphoria include those much alike depression and often frequent bouts of dysphoria can compound over time and cause general depression.

5. Hats

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, I'm not depressed. It's just I always thought that gender dysphoria always anchored itself to some specific gendered thing.

6. Cinis

Cinis Guest

Depression can also manifest itself as distress..but its usually accompanied with the typical depression thought-circle,- everything-is-pointless,- I-don't-have -the-energy-for-anything -not-even-for -just-doing-nothing,-sleepdepriving,- robotness.

So it's very likely dysporia ( which can also cause depression. But, alas)

7. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was just basing it off my own experiences.

I've had dysphoria rise up out of no where with seemingly no cause and no focus. It isn't one thing I am distress about on my body, it is many, yet seemingly nothing about my body/gender roles/gender anything is bothering me.
    I get stressed and begin to overthink, then worry, before long I fill it start to morph into anxiety before crashing into depression, then easing back into dysphoria. I'll go to sleep, sometimes a bit of it is left lingering about, but most of the time it has seemingly vanished into thin air in till something triggers the dysphoria that has a focus and that I know how to easily deal with.

8. EverDeer

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not always; I see it sort of like how... let's say you broke your toe and it never healed back right. Although the toe was no longer broken, you might still feel pain in it because it's always been under stress since then. Dysphoria just means distress. If you feel distress often and reoccurring, eventually your body or mind is going to get worn down or tired, and react to unrelated things in a tired or worn down way, which is often why it can mimic depression symptoms, because it's a stress response so it doesnt always have to be about your gender or have a direct correlation to it.

9. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    KipperTheDeer is right. Dysphoria is just a form of distress, just like depression can be a response to stress. There doesn't have to be a reason. And depression and dysphoria often go hand in hand. You may not see the connection, but it is there. In fact, dysphoria can grow into depression gradually.

I hope you find some relief soon.

Sebby45