1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Experiences with Gender Therapy?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by actualdust, Mar 13, 2017.

1. actualdust

I recently met a detransitioned woman who felt that her gender therapist failed her. Her experience was very negative and she was prescribed hormones when transitioning wasn't the solution to overcoming her dysphoria.

I'm aware that this isn't most people's experience, so I'm curious to hear agreeing and dissenting opinions- what has your experience been with gender therapy? How did they determine whether or not they thought you should transition?

2. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    my therapist is AWESOME. she has helped me in so many ways and to be on this path. its been wonderful dealing with her, she's leaving to have a baby in October so im really gonna miss her. but I should be well on my way by then.:icon_bigg

3. Cailan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Like with any human, there are good and bad therapists. Some have agendas, either one way or the other. It's life. If you're uncomfortable with your therapist or what he/she is telling you, then go to another therapist.

Mine is way too far on the woo side for my liking, but is generally helpful. We don't have any actual gender therapists within two hours of where we live, so we go to a regular therapist who happens to be bisexual and open-minded, and does his best to research as much as he can about gender issues. So far, so good.