1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think I might be bigender

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Casey221B, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Casey221B

So for a while, I’ve been feeling like I might be genderfluid. But, it didn’t feel right. I kind of feel genderqueer most of the time, and sometimes transmasculine.

Anyways, I found a comic on tumblr about what being bigender is like, and I feel like I might be bigender. For example, the comic said something about your genders being affected by different mindsets and I definitely feel like I have different gender mindsets.

Whenever I’ve thought I’m a gender, I haven’t really had a mind blowing eureka moment about it, but I guess reading the bigender comic was closer to a eureka moment than demigirl or androgyne.

2. Athexant

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Congratulations on the "eureka" moment. If you think you're bigender, identify as such! I've changed my mind about what label fits me so many times. I ended up just sticking to genderqueer as an umbrella term. Do what feels most comfortable for you. If people complain about you changing your mind, they're probably not good people to keep around.

Best of luck to you!

3. Saminthenile

Do you possibly have a link to the comic? If not that's ok I will go a-huntin'

4. Irisviel

tumblr isn't a place to get your gender defined at.

5. Casey221B

Here you go! bigendering

6. EverDeer

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Arguably, neither is here, or anywhere. But it is a good starting place for general exposure and information that a person can use to help determine it themselves.

7. Esteban

How did you figure out that maybe you can be bigender? Because I do not know how to identify the differences between the bigender and genderfluid ... and this confuses me a lot (beyond the lack of information about this subject in my native language), and sometimes I feel alone and "out of the water" because I can not be sure of what I am ...

It may be "just a phase" as my mother speaks

8. Irisviel

you are taking your advice from a tumblr blog for a life changing matter. That's quite irresponsible, especially that this comic is simply not about a real thing. You need to realize you are taking for granted a set of beliefs about gender that have never been proved to be anything but a gender constructionist invention.

9. EverDeer

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    To be fair, they're also taking advice from the opinions of random people on the internet such as you and I. But I think personal life experience can speak for itself in many cases. For example, I went many years treating depression and anxiety that I didn't have medically diagnosed through the experiences of others who had it, as well as self healing techniques that did work and when I presented them to a therapist they commended me for taking my healing into my own hands. In my eyes, if something can potentially heal or help the mind or body, then it by all means should be at the very least considered.

10. Casey221B

Okay, I'm not really sure how I went about doing it. But at least for me, I feel genderqueer most of the time, but I feel transmasculine for small amounts, but it's kind of like a gender add on instead of a gender change, if that makes sense.

In general I've heard people say genderfluid is like going back and forth between a few different points and bigender is just two points. Plus, not all bigender people's genders change.

Good luck figuring things out!

11. Esteban

Ok... Thanks :slight_smile:
    i kinda understand what you want to say... but it's not my case... right now i'm the "male side" but tomorow maybe i cant not be... sometimes i have that "gender dysphoria", but i don't feel like changing my biological gender yet... It's too early for me confirm this.
    Thanks for the help! :wink:

12. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have nothing to say constructive, sorry. But because you obviously know what they mean, can you explain all of those terms to me? The gender orientation terms. I'm a 90's kid who only just found out she was gay a few months ago. Back during my teen years in school just coming out as gay or bi was a big thing - we didn't have all these gender terms. I really don't understand them, and I'd like to learn more about it. I didn't realize there was more than just 'trans' with the gender thing till i joined up here.

13. Casey221B

It's cool you wanna learn! I'll tell you about some common genders, but there's plenty of gender masterlists online you can look at.

Nonbinary - Basically any gender that isn't a girl or a boy. It's an umbrella term, but some people use it as their gender.

Genderqueer - Similar to nonbinary, but I think it might have more political weight. It's really a preference whether someone uses nonbinary or genderqueer.

Bigender/Trigender - Someone has two or three genders. They don't need to be binary genders (girl or boy) and can change and fluctuate.

Genderfluid - Your gender changes. I read something about it that described being genderfluid as watch me male, now watch me female. watch me both, now watch me neither.

Agender/Neutrois - Agender means not having a gender, and neutrois means having a neutral gender. I would say they're pretty similar, but different.

14. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To be fair, the various genders described above aren't rooted in anything recognized by anyone credible. They are used terms among a small group but are not widely accepted.

It's important in any dicsussion of gender that we realize that gender is a social construct. It is different than biological sex, which is typically defined by sex organs.

Things get complicated with trans people, as these are situations where body doesn't match mind and self-perception. For most of the rest, they fit pretty neatly into one of the two widely recognized genders.

I do strongly suggest avoiding Tumblr or any of the obscure websites that focus on this stuff if you're looking for reliable information based on more than a handful of people's belief-of-the-week. Do some serious scholarly reading on gender and gender philosophy and gain some understanding from those who have been looking at this for decades and done some pretty good study of the sociology behind gender studies. That's where you're most likely to come up with good information on which to base your understanding.

15. Casey221B

I get what you're saying, but I do think Tumblr and other websites can be useful to find information. Especially for me, since I find scholarly things to be pretty dull.

16. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well... there's quite a space between "scholarly" and "tumblr." Tumblr is the Internet equivalent of Weekly World News or even The Onion. Very, very little there that's remotely factual or accurate.