1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transgender Women: Where are you?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Rook, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Rook

I go to one of the most progressive schools in my city. The headmaster is openly gay, homophobia and transphobia is publicly condemned, teachers advertise their rooms as being safe for LGBT students, and there are "Ally walls" with encouraging posters. I say all this because I know a lot of out LGBT students. However, all publicly trans students I've met are FtM or FtNB (I'm not sure of the correct terminology). I've yet to meet a MtF or MtNB person. I've also seen this on the Internet, where most trans people I've seen are FtM or FtNB.

So I have to ask; where are you, transgender women? Are there just not as many, or are there just more closeted ones? Why is it like this? I'd like to hear any opinions and thoughts on the matter, because I could just be in an inaccurate environment. Thank you for reading.

2. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Being transfeminine is still more stigmatized than being transmasculine for one thing. So there will be a lot more closeted MTFs. And another thing which will sound very problematic but has to be said, a lot of those people are probably going through a phase. Certainly not all, but some. Since it is more acceptable for a "girl" to dress and act like a boy than the other way around, a lot of people are experimenting because they can. This happens less the other way around because like I said, they'd get a lot more shit for it.

Even when I was in high school nearly ten years ago, I knew a few girls who came out as FTM only to take it back a month or so later or act like it never happened. I can only imagine what it's like now. I'm not saying people who do this are doing it for attention or that it's even a huge problem (as long as it doesn't go too far), but it does happen. It's probably a good thing people feel like they can experiment and explore gender. If only it was so acceptable for AMAB folk.

#2 Rickystarr, Mar 17, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  3. DoriaN

Usually those that are trans are seeking to correct a birth defect; not really to fit into a club or group.
    Being trans isn't a fun thing, and most don't want to be seen as transwoman or transmen, but rather just men/women.

Being transgender has turned into largely a political issue so now it takes all kinds, but most desire to live content and personal lives.

4. Rook

Thank you both for the replies. I agree with what you said. @Rickystarr especially, I do believe there is a lot of stigma when it comes to how men express themselves. It's simply that women are given more leniency on that end.

Highschool and college is a time when a lot of people are trying to solidify a personality, but it's also a time of a lot of trial and error.

5. Irisviel

the reason there are many women who identify as non binary is because gender constructionist ideologues have successfully destroyed what it means to be a woman and now those who aren't stereotypical females are bombarded with the non binary ideas that make anyone that doesn't fit in the gender norm question their gender. Progress was supposed to be about letting women be who they are, turned into telling those who are masculine that they are gendeequeer.

Also, non binary is interestingly correlated with left wing views and push for being visible or an activist.

Sorry, but this is the reason. Gender has been hijacked by political ideology and turned into a construct, then redefined and made a mess of.

6. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Basically this.

Plus the fact that there is a stigma for men to express femininity, and femininity is thought of as lesser in our culture. And leniency, that's true too.

The USA are strange for me, btw... I didn't know any people who were out as trans growing up. Neither do I know now, in person.

7. Rook

Thank you for the response, Irisviel. There is no reason to apologize, I agree with you and think it needs to be said, especially to younger people who are questioning their gender.

---------- Post added 18th Mar 2017 at 02:47 PM ----------

I missed your post @emerry, my bad! I don't think that this is prevalent in the USA as a whole, actually. More in very liberal environments, like my school.

8. Lazuri

I think transwomen just aren't as vocal about it. According to the gender identity teams we have here in Sweden that I've been seeing for the past year, they actually have slightly more MtF clients than FtM clients.

MtF people just tend to be more subtle and reserved because we get a lot more shit from people and strangers from just a passing glance--most FtM just gets a pass as a tomboy.

9. TransParkie

AS mentioned above being a trans-woman is highly stigmatized by society, because early in the trans process (unless you are very lucky), it will be quite easy to see through the veil as it were, and pretty much everyone will be able to tell as well as see you for what you (in their minds) are, a man wearing women's clothes. Something that is not considered "ok" to do. Where as for a trans-man? he can go unseen, and be accepted in society, because a woman wearing men's clothes is extremely common through out western society.

You also have to remember, that although it has been pretty much ok for women to wear men's clothing for over a century. In western culture, it has "NEVER" been ok for men to wear women's clothes. At least not without serious name calling, shaming, physical harm, and many other problems. Why is it this way?? I don't have an answer. This type of attitude does need to change though.

I wrote a different perspective on this, but it ended up too long, so I posted it in it's own thread....

Michelle

#9 TransParkie, Mar 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2017
  10. Cadi04

Straight men fear being called gay if they are attracted to you as an MTF, I think. So most rather like to avoid that? Or find it disturbing. It's the reason I don't come out and hide from it. Not to mention all the killing and issues I hear on the media. I don't cross dress for this reason and stopped taking hormones because of this issue I had at work 10 years ago. They don't care what you feel, but what they feel. Which is not fair.