1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FTM Haircut

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by iHeartYouu, Mar 18, 2017.

1. iHeartYouu

I actually posted this on another topic, but figured that it is more suitable to post here.

I have short hair until i was 7 years old. Then, i began to grow it and maintained it long. I'm 18 now. All my life, my friends only saw me let down my hair only 3 times at MOST. Skyping when i just bathed, or going to the pool. This is also why I avoid going swimming too. Im afraid of letting my hair down. I thought of it as troublesome, like they might get in my way when eating / running. And here is a really hot country. Summertime all year round. Plus, I have a very low self esteem. I go out with my hair tied up in a ponytail, and thank god it is compulsory in school. I have 0 confidence of letting my hair down now, because I have never done it. Im going to a new school next month, where there is no more uniforms. I want to be myself. How I like it. Which is cutting my hair really short. Since I dont honor it much when it's long. I want a boy haircut.
    Im sure about this, Im a girl, but more on the musculine side. I even considered myself as a boy.. I never liked dolls or makeup. I lift weights and play gta.
    However, I told my mum last night that I want to cut my hair like a boy's haircut. I told her I want to try. I can grow it back but she forbids it. She's okay with me cutting my hair short. But in a girly type of way. My first question is what kind of haircut can pass as both a girl and a boy? I have a round face.
    And, being able to style it up or let my fringe down is a plus.
    Also, how can I convince my mum about this Im her only child, she's pretty homophobic. I know she will hate me, but I know she won't kick me out of the house. I had shown her some photos of girls in short hair. Like ruby rose. She think it looks bad But.. even if she allows, Im pretty scared.. scared about the judgements of my friends if i look bad. If you have your experience with this, do share with me!
    Any comments or advice is welcome too!

larkmary likes this.
  2. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I also have a round face! Here are my tips, for what they're worth:

- A guys cut will have straight sideburns, not pointed ones
    - Ask for the ears cut out and the back to be tapered. If you just ask for "a short cut" with no references, the stylist might give you a very short cut, and still not do these things.
    - A cut that's longer on top and cropped more at the sides can help elongate an otherwise round face. I've had both Generic Short Hair Cuts and undercuts, which are both like this. Also it's become a relatively androgynous look, worn on people of several genders with little variations. And you can typically wear a look like this gelled back, or with the bangs down, parted or not. It's very versatile! The only downside, they grow in irregularly, so they need to be trimmed up frequently.
    - if worse comes to worse and your mom won't let you do anything too ambiguous, a pixie isn't so bad. I've worn several.
    - if even that is too extreme, shaggy hair is ok too. I personally like my hair shaggy too. Look for androgynous shaggy looks, there's several out there that would pass on people of various genders.
    - Bring pictures to your hair stylist! If you can find pictures of a style you like from different angles, even better!
    - Short hair requires maintenance! it's more wash and go, but if you don't have time to wash it or style it in the morning, get ready to rock weird cowlicks and bedhead all day.

#2 clockworkfox, Mar 18, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  3. THEBEARTHATDIED

I think your best off with a pixie cut tbh. A lot of females and males alike have this hairstyle and it's generally neutral. I think you'd look fine whether your masc or fem.

4. anthracite

anthracite Guest

Pixie goes very well, if you style it to the side and a little shaggy it looks fairly boyish.

5. iHeartYouu

Thanks for all the above replies, i'm really looking into pixie cuts now, and also, does this hairstyle (in black/brown) suit chubby/ round face? [​IMG]

6. FoxEars

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If you have a feathered fringe that reaches above your eyebrows, it looks feminine when down. When you leave the house you can easily push it up into a quiff-type style. This is what I do, and I carry a small can of travel hairspray to keep it up.

7. OtterGrump

I got my haircut just over a week ago. It's WAAAY better than having long hair, I couldn't wear hats or hoods before because it was so annoying! And it was always in a low ponytail.

I just told my mum I wanted to cut my hair basically (it was a little more complicated but not in regards to any of this). I showed her a picture when she asked which was of a woman but I had a few of some guys too, they were basically the same. And with my hair there's no specific "oh it looks like a guy's haircut" because it's curly and just does weird stuff. My mum at one point said something along the lines of "I liked it better yesterday (the day it was cut) because it was taller and now you really look like a boy" but I just told her tall hair does not look good (it really doesn't).

As for the stylist, when she asked what type of cut (my mum had talked to her on the phone earlier so she knew I wanted a really short cut) I said "men's cut or pixie cut". It was kind of slurred and mumbled because that's the type of person I am but it was fine for her, and later she asked if I wanted the nape of my neck cleaned up like men's cuts usually are or generally natural like pixie cuts are. Though she gave me pointed sideburns which I cut when I got home (not completely straight across but just not so pointy.

I don't know if this really makes sense, I've probably rambled a lot. But basically with most hair you could get any cut (even pixie) and style it a little more masculine. You can try bringing in a picture of a man and woman with the same/similar haircut and show them both, that's pretty much what I did.
    Let me tell you though it's so liberating to see all your hair on the floor after the initial chops! Tell us how it eventually goes.

8. iHeartYouu

The idea of making it quiff type when i'm not home is really great! and I finally managed to convince my mother about getting my hair cut short. I'm going to get it done in the next 2 days. Will post an update! Haha, any tips when i'm at the hairdressers?

9. OtterGrump

I can't see the picture you posted before so I can't tell what kind of hair you might have or what you're trying to go for, but anyway.

- If you're not ready to ask for straight sideburns you could either ask for a little less pointed or do it yourself when you get home
    - A pixie cut is okay because you can just style it more masculine
    - Bring in a picture and say you want it like that. Doesn't matter if it's a man or a woman. Bring one of each if you find them with the same style you want
    - Figure out what kind of hairline (at the nape of your neck) you want
    - Basically try to know everything possible about how you want it to be, but if you don't that's okay. It just makes it more reassuring I think

And, depending on what type of hair you have, you might want to buy some hair wax/putty for styling so it's not shiny like if you use gel. But you might not need any if you have nice cooperative hair (unlike me, I have no idea what it's doing).

So yeah, basically things I already said. I don't know how much help this is. But I know that I'm really happy with my haircut, at the very least because it's so much less annoying!

10. iHeartYouu

It definitely helped me in terms of what to tell the hairdresser! :grin: Im wondering if this hairstyle suit a round face? tumblr_ncp0wpyMqc1tupsyro1_500

#10 iHeartYouu, Mar 23, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  11. OtterGrump

:icon_conf I still can't see your picture. Can you post the URL of where I can see it?

Glad I could help a little.

12. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You could also ask your hairdresser what cuts or styles would compliment your face shape as well, if that makes sense.

13. iHeartYouu

I went it to cut my hair and it's how I like it :grin: thanks for all the tips above, and just that the top and my fringe has alot of volume and I have troubles keeping my fringe up. I tried hair wax but it doesn't really help. Does hairspray work?

14. larkmary

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi I am a bi sexual female and my gf is feminine , we have decided to get engaged and she had asked me to let her cut all my hair very short for the party. I have come up with the idea of letting her start the haircut and pass the scissors to friends and family take turns cutting all my very long hair that is now past my waist to a very boy short haircut that is buzzed and tapered as a sign of my love for her, she likes a more masculine look on me and it is just a small sacrifice to show my love for her. I would love other people's opinions about this

15. larkmary

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My ex gf had cut my hair from my hips to the collar and buzzed it to a short pixie and it help me out of the closet. Family took a while to accept but they did. I explained that I was still the same person but with shorter hair. it has to be re- trimmed and the back has to be buzzed every 6 weeks to keep it uniform, if you do not keep it trimmed it looks funny when it starts to grow out.. The top of my hair she had left the longest an inch and a half and did very short layers. I did lose all my natural curl when she buzzed the back to half an inch number 4 comb and tapered the sides. Now after 11 years of not being together, we have re united and I am going to marry her. I did let my hair grow back very long, and she is going to cut my hair off again but with family and friends helping at out engagement party and yes I will let her buzz the back and sides again. She loves very very short hair on me. If it makes her happy then I want her to trim off as much as she would like. I look forward to seeing all my long hair falling on the cape and hearing and feeling the buzzer as it eats away at my hairline making my hair very short. We were supposed to get engaged this month but moved it to November. Some of out close friends had given us a surprise wedding shower this month. It was very lovely.