1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out as ftm

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by THEBEARTHATDIED, Mar 18, 2017.

1. THEBEARTHATDIED

I need your help
    Um ok so last year on July fourth I cam out as female to male transgender to my parents. It's been nearly a year and my parents haven't even bothered to speak to me about it. I'm trying to find a way to bring attention to me and make my parents maybe consider getting me on testosterone(in my state you don't need a therapist recommendation). I'm open to any ideas of any sort (and just FYI my parents are completely fine with my gay brother so like I really don't understand how they've been "thinking" about it for a year.) I've tried a couple of things already like writing a letter, constructing a conversation, going to family therapy, and wearing all masculine clothes + going by a different name at school.

2. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Have you told them that's the direction you're looking to go in?

My parents only half got it when I came out to them. They understood I don't identify as a girl, but they don't really understand the rest. Sometimes a little gentle guidance is necessary. I mean, you've looked into all of this, and they probably haven't. Unless you've given them resources to access or something. Maybe just let them know, "hey, the clothes/name/etc have helped immensely, but I'm considering hormone therapy."

I actually only came out to my parents recently. And even though I'm a grown ass man with my own apartment, I still feel the need to let them know what my transition plans are. I don't know how they'll take it, but hey. Adult, meeting my own needs... For me, top surgery has become so imperative, I feel like it should be the next thing I bring up. And I feel like with things like this, if you don't bring it up, they won't necessarily ask.

Again, I don't know what your situation is or what resources your parents have had access to in the past year, and I don't mean to be in any way presumptive.

3. THEBEARTHATDIED

I think I've made it clear that I at the very least want to change my name(legally) and start testosterone. Tbh now that I'm thinking about it, it might have to do with our insurance. Because our insurance doesn't cover anything in my state it hardly even covers my small amount of therapy that I got a while back. My parents have also always been a bit on edge whenever I bring up the subject of anything permanent.. They think "oh small 15 year old child, what does (s)he know". Sorry it makes me super annoyed because Im actually a super mature and intellectual student. I always have been and always will be. And with that they know that I mean what I say and I say what I mean.. I really don't understand how in any circumstance my parents wouldn't trust me.