1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is going to a gender therapist worth it?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Mihael, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Exactly. In order to sort youself out a bit?

I highly doubt if I'd hear something constructive tbh, because I've thought the topic through back and forth (too) many times. Nevertheless, my anxiety about it doesn't seem to go away. I simply don't understand it all. But I don't want to transition and everything transgender seems to be in that context.

---------- Post added 19th Mar 2017 at 10:23 AM ----------

I dunno, maybe if I heard a professional tell me that no, I'm not crazy, and got a paper, that would make me stop to fret about it.

2. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It could help. In my experience when I went to a therapist, I told her I thought I was trans but wasn't 100% sure, and in the one session I had, she said she'd make an appointment with a endocrinologist, however, I think if you told them you specifically did not want to medically transition, they would help you sort out your thoughts and try and make things easier.

Good luck.

3. Irisviel

yes, certainly. Or clinical psychologist, actually I'd prefer the latter - simply because I feel like I would want to trust the therapist to be more broadly trained (i went to a clinical psychologist myself).

And I think deep down you know that since you've been struggling to find answers here for a very long time. You will find way more in a liveconverdation with someone who also has good answers for you specifically.

#3 Irisviel, Mar 19, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  4. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Absolutely, especially if they have a wonderful reputation from clients.

5. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    yes yes. if you get a good one, it is such a help defining things, even things you hadnt thought of and help dealing with what's in your head. i totally recommend it.

6. Worker Bee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    After my first appt with a psychiatrist today they are going to send me to one. I'm pretty sure I've worked out who and what I am but it would be good to talk to someone about it and have my thoughts confirmed

7. lettuce

Whether it's in a professional capacity or not, it's probably better that you talk to someone about it. Introspection is good, but we've all got biases, and we're especially biased when it comes to ourselves. Relying entirely on introspection can lead to some skewered opinions about yourself. Even if you don't agree with what the other person is saying, they might force you to see things from a different perspective, or even just validate the things you already think about yourself.

At the end of the day, though, it's entirely up to you. If you don't want to see a therapist there isn't really much point in going, but if you do wanna see one then it's worth at least trying out.

8. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you for your replies.

I went to a psychologist (a "normal" therapist) and I'm going to go a couple times more, and it was really worth it.

9. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It turns out I'm very, very gay, gnc, brought up in a quite stereotypical environment, indeed male-identified, and not showing signs of dysphoria so far... So all in all a transgender butch person I guess. Talking in real life (and to a professional) is really helpful. But the forum was very helpful too, in other ways. I wouldn't just go there and talk about my issues, with thoughts already so well formulated, if not for the internet.