1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to tell parents that i'd like to be trans?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by TheOneCactus, Mar 19, 2017.

1. TheOneCactus

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey all,
    Im at a cross roads at the moment: one half of me tells me im Bi and could have a romantic and sexual relationship with a girl/boy but on the other hand I feel as if i'd be living my life fully as a female. I think my parents could cope with me being Bi but I have no idea how they'd take it if I said that I wanted to be Trans. Main concerns are that I think they would be unstable emotionally if I were to become female (though they'd probably come to terms with it at some point) and financial reasons (ive read that Trans surgeries cost $1000+). Parents background: modernising Slavic family witha semi liberal mindset but with no LGBT people ever in our family, meaning i'd be the first. Bottom line is that I would really like to be Trans but am being held back by uncertainty of how parents would react

2. Lazuri

Nobody "wants" to be trans. If you think that you are trans and you're just wording it weird, that's fine, but if you actually feel that you WANT to be trans, then get that idea out of your head right now.

3. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Seriously. You know what I wouldn't give to be cis, regardless of whether male or female?

I'm already trans, and I'd like to(and am) transition, because it'll make my life better. But that's just making lemonade out of my lemons, I'd love for it to not be something I need to do at all costs, but it is.

4. AbsoluteNerd

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Will point out that op said slavic, so I would assume english is not their first language. Probably meant that they wanted to transition. That's how I see it, anyway

5. TheOneCactus

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    quick edit: by saying "want", I mean that i'd like to live my life out as female and by adding "Slavic" in my post, im implying that many Slavic families are not very accepting of LGBT family members. Comparable to say Alabama in terms of being conservative but maybe not as bad (im not trying to be rascist, stereotypical or offensive in the slightest)

6. dvxqnc

If you're afraid of how your parents would take it I would talk to a couple of your friends first. The younger generation is usually more liberal than the older.

7. DoriaN

More liberal, but often less wise.

8. Lazuri

That's fair, but you're still young. I'm not saying "don't do it" but I am advising you to think about this decision extremely carefully, especially so if your parents' reactions are iffy.

Transitioning is a shitshow and you want to avoid it if you can. Some of us (like me) know that they'll literally never be happy unless they at least try and transition. You need to figure out if that applies to you before you do anything you can't take back.