1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long Hair FTM Help?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by FracturedWings, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Hi guys! So I recently came out as trans-masculine, so I've finally started transitioning as far as clothes and all that go.

I'm a junior, so I have two and a half years before college and I'm really hoping to be passing as androgynous or male by then... I happen to have a pretty feminine face though, so my hopes aren't too high.

Does anyone have any tips on passing male that don't involve whacking my hair?

I like femininity, acting and dressing girly, but still being gendered as male, which is a balance that is going to take a lot of time. The biggest problem I'm having is I really do not want to cut my hair. I love it long, but it makes me very girly.

It currently falls about midback; I want it to be about waist length at terminal. I'm currently working on growing out my layers since that's a pretty femme thing and recently moved my part closer to the middle which has really helped.

Does anyone know "masculine" hair styles that are this long?

2. PrinceVegeta

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have you tried a man bun?
    You can google tutorials for "man buns" if you don't know what they are/how to do one.

3. Yeah, I tried buns, but they were very femme. I've also experimented with some pony tails at the nape of the neck.
    The problem with man bun (at least for me) is they tend to be either small and sleek, which my hair is too long for, or poofy but accompanied by greasy hair (yuck) or lots of other masculine tells like facial hair.

4. Najlen

If you like the rocker/ metal look just leaving it down is fine. I know there's a stereotype that those guys all have nasty greasy hair, but a lot of them don't.

5. Cailan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Typically women's long haircuts are layered, while men's are blunt cut. Blunt-cut your hair (just a trim), and use things like leather hair ties for the low pony. I've seen some really cool leather hair things for guys that are basically a laced up leather tube. Very masculine. Use some sea salt hair spray to roughen the texture a bit, it makes it look more masculine (less femininely soft and silky).

6. That's good; my hair is very healthy and I'm proud of how clean and soft I keep it.

Thanks! I'll probably be getting a haircut soon, so I can ask for that. Do I just say "blunt cut" or is there some other term I should use? It's layered right now, so I'm trying to grow the layers instead of cutting to the shortest one because that's like half my length. I'll look into the leather ties... would they work in conjunction with elastics? The roughed up texture is something I've seen but haven't experimented with, I'll give it a try.