1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Utimate Guilt Trip.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Natasha Elyssa, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Natasha Elyssa

So it's been a little over a month now since I sent out my college applications and portfolios and stuff. Now acceptance letters are coming in. I got rejected from one school (with 80% acceptance rate), which not only stings because I couldn't get in, but stings much worse since my school counselor got lazy and never sent my transcripts to that school. She said she couldn't send them digitally and before I could contest it (the school has emails listed on a page dedicated to applications and stuff), I got the email saying that I was rejected. So that sucked. I've not heard from two other schools yet, the one I got rejected from was one of my California schools, and I haven't heard from the other California school or the Cambridge Massachusetts one yet.

Here's the thing, the one school that got back to me was a local school that my dad forced me to apply to as a safety school. They accepted me....and put an offer for 40,000 dollars over 4 years (10 grand a year) as a scholarship on the table. This school does offer film, which I desperately want to pursue, but I don't want to stay here. I don't want to be stuck here. And to add to it....my mom said that if I stay home and go to this school (can't dorm there, it's so close it doesn't make sense and, as I've been told, dorms are typically given to people who would have to commute large distances or are from out of state) she will take out a home equity loan and finally fix the house (something you'd have to know us to understand) and buy me a better car (love my current car but things keep breaking because previous owner never fixed it or took propper care of it).

Here's what this means:
    My mom said that if I go to this school, and stay home, she will take out a loan and use the money to fix our house. Our house was built in the 1920s and is extremely out of date and in need of repairs. We still have original cloth wiring in the walls that's connected to our outlets and such. It's so bad, we've had to have entire outlets and electrical lines replaced. There's an outlet in my room that I can't use because it's busted (blew up a cable box and a TV in a sparkling mess). It's also no secret that the previous owners did shoddy work and things are broken left and right. They also had a weird obsession with mirrors (there's walls of mirrors in both bathrooms) and they illegally finished the attic (which had to be ripped out). My parents moved in, and the entire attic was ripped apart (there's literally nothing but nails sticking down from the roof as a ceiling, plus you have to be 4 feet tall to safely navigate most of it). The previous owners also took all the light bulbs from the house when they left. Bottom line, the attic is messed up. Then there's our sun-room. Years back, when I was like 4, my parents had the back deck enclosed in a giant metal box. It has no insulation, the carpet rotted and had to be removed, the back door's been fixed twice the past few years, it leaks water like crazy (we legit have buckets and pans everywhere to collect the water), and the floor is rotting. We also have bugs coming in through it. It's horrible, it's always extremely hot or cold, it's always leaking, and the noise is horrible (you can hear the rain from inside the second story of the house). But see, the plan we've discussed in the past, is to completely enclose the back of the house and make it an actual part of the house and add to the second floor. This would give my mom a nice new bedroom, possibly give my sister more space, and I'll probably be able to have a proper bedroom (my bedroom is like 7x7.5). The plan is to expand the house, make the second and first floor bigger, fix what's broken, and improve the house a little bit. My mom also said that she'd take some money and buy me a better car. It's the ultimate guilt trip. Stay home and I'll give you a better car and I'll fix the house up and make it better to live here. She's basically bribing me to stay home. But I really want to leave and start out fresh, start a new life. And if my #1 school doesn't accept me, I'm screwed. I won't be able to get away from home, I won't be able to transition, I'll be stuck here even longer, and all sorts of bad stuff. I don't want to be here. I want to go off on my own, forget my past, move on, and live my life the way I want to without facing persecution from my family or community. I'm really hoping the school in Massachusetts gets back to me with a yes because I really want to leave. I feel like I need to leave, get out, get far away from here. I can't stand four more years of this, let alone getting stuck here after college. I can't handle that.

I don't know what to do. My mom's trying to bribe me, my dad's being a jerk, my whole family is guilt tripping me all the time, my sister's being a jerk. It's like, I can't win. Even if I do get away I'll never be free from this. What do I do?

---------- Post added 20th Mar 2017 at 02:24 AM ----------

Too long, didn't read:

I got rejected from one school, haven't heard from two other schools (including my #1 choice), and I got accepted to a local (safety) school. Safety school offered a nice scholarship, now mom is trying to bribe me on top of guilt trip me. She's trying to bribe me with house renovations (desperately needed) and a newer car (also somewhat needed) if I stay. I want to leave, make a new life, and do what I feel I need to do, but it may not be a possibility anymore. I fear that I may not be able to transition or live a happy life the next few years. My parents desperately want me to stay home. Everything is riding on a decision from the school I really want to go to. I'm really worried about this. I don't know what to do; help?

2. dvxqnc

I can definitely understand why you are feeling conflicted, that is a lot of pressure. However, I do feel that it is not right to try and manipulate someone with incentives like renovating the home. Honestly, I think that your home would get repaired in one way or another whether you went to school far away or not.

College is about YOU and YOUR personal development. If you feel that you need to get away from your family environment, I say go with your gut. It seems like your family is pulling out all the stops to make you stay at home. If finances are a concern, you can apply for scholarships within the university and to third-party scholarships as well. You could even stay in the area of your university long enough to get resident tuition instead of out-of-state.

I know things seem crazy right now, but honestly follow your heart. Things may seem chaotic now but they will work out in the end.