1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bigender vs Genderfluid

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Sebby45, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Out of curiosity...

What is the difference between being bigender and being genderfluid. It kind of seems similar to me.

So, experts, what is the defining factor?

2. matt4907

matt4907 Guest

Bigender is either being distinctly male or distinctly female, nothing in between. Genderfluid is sort of fluctuating between the two or being somewhere in the middle of the binary

3. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member Away

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've kind of wondered the same thing from time-to-time, but what I've come to understand is that bigender is 2 genders whether they're male and female; male and agender; female and agender, etc. It depends on the person and how they choose to identify, but I've read that some bigender people feel the need to express both male and female identities at the same time, or that one of the differences is that bigender people switch between their two genders instantly, whereas genderfluid people may gradually shift from one side of the spectrum to the other. A genderfluid person may feel male, female, both or neither at any given time.

Another thing is genderfluid people's gender may change based on environment, or social gatherings (male or female groups), hormones, mood, etc.

Definitions may change slightly depending on who you ask and how that person chooses to label their gender identity.

#3 Hawk, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  4. Bigender is kind of like a form of gender fluidity.

Bigender is like the A and B button on an old gameboy. You can press one or the other or both at the same time, accidentally slip onto one, press half the A and all of the B, etc. It's two distinct genders that can be expressed separately back and forth, simultaneously and equally, or unevenly.

Gender fluid is more like a joystick with different genders on it; there might be two, or more, but the transition between them might not be as immediate. Fluid people might even hover in middle, agender, greygender, queer, etc. areas for a period of time.

They're both terms that depend largely on the individual.

5. DoriaN

Chameleon genders =o

From the family Chamaeleonidae; Gendaeridae Supaerfluidiaeous.

6. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks, that makes a little more sense. Still hard for me to wrap my head around it, but I'll get there eventually. Lol.

And I guess having the definition per individual makes more sense as well, since they still seem so similar in my mind.

7. Casey221B

Bigender is two genders. Doesn't matter what they are, or if they change or whatever. Genderfluid is changing from gender to gender, whether that be boy,girl,nonbinary,agender, whatever. I think in some situations you could pick either or, like picking between bisexual or pansexual, but other times there's a large difference.

8. Cailan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone