1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bigender, metoidioplasty and WPATH requirements

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Cailan, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Cailan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm doing everything ICATH so far, and eventually I want a simple release metoidioplasty. However, virtually all of the surgeons I've seen require a year living as your preferred gender.

What are the requirements for bi-gender individuals who plan to continue living as both genders? Or do they expect me to choose one gender to get the surgery?

Also, can anyone tell me anything good or bad about Dr. Daniel Dugi, III or Dr. Tuan A. Nguyen?

#1 Cailan, Mar 21, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  2. DoriaN

"However, virtually all of the surgeons I've seen require a year living as your preferred gender."

This usually isn't just a surgeon thing, it's the 1 year 'real life test' for a person to see if they are happy with their gender presentation, often a requirement before receiving hormones or surgery and issued from a psychiatrist. It's standard for those that are transsexual and diagnosed.
    Bigender is a newer and more controversial subject so I can't personally say on the issue.

3. Cailan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The one-year and a letter from a psych for hormones is no longer part of WPATH for anyone, at least in the US. WPATH Version 7 dropped this recommendation/requirement a few years ago. Version 7 also dropped the recommendation of letters, psych and HRT for top surgery.

At the ICATH clinic I use, you just sign a piece of paper stating that I understand the risks, they do the necessary medical work-up, and I get the HRT prescription. There's no waiting, no psych requirement at all. But they don't do surgery. They do, however, refer to surgeons.

For meta, surgeons require two years on HRT simply because that's how long it takes for testosterone to grow the clitoris large enough to give them something to work with.