1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Testosterone & not wanting to be really masculine

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by icantpickaname, Mar 24, 2017.

1. icantpickaname

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    i everyone so Im FTM im almost 18 which means I can legally go on T but I am worried that it will make me quite masculine & I see myself as a more effeminate guy. I want my voice to drop a bit and my fat distribution to change and gain muscle easier and my face to be slimmer. I want to be able to pass but i'm quite girly looking especially in the face I have a bad case of baby face I don't think I can do this without T but I don't feel like an overly manly man I want to look like a pretty boy or a bit androgynous (something like Cris Colfer, Dan Howell, K-pop boys etc. And I also don't want to lose my hair or go bald I have a extremely strong connection with my hair its the only part of myself I have ever liked and I don't think id feel like myself without it. Would Low dose Testosterone allow me to pass and achieve the results I want?

2. Cailan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My endo office told me to consider what I want as my end goal, and they can tailor my testosterone treatment to that end - from totally masculine to androgynous. I am guessing each endo is different in their openness in dealing with people who don't want "the whole tamale."

Pretty much you can go on low doses that don't masculinize as much, and stop or go on even lower doses if you start heading in a direction you don't want.

I personally have a specific end goal, but, as a bi-gender person, if my voice drops too much or something else causes dysphoria from my female side, I'll stop short of that goal if I must.

3. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Taking a low dose just means you will masculinize slower, unless you stop when you are happy, but many of the changes will reverse.

Unfortunately you can't control changes from T. Best you could do is remove body hair and try to stay slim, dress well/not too masculine, try not to speak in a very low voice.

Losing your hair is also a very real risk, though there are treatments to slow it down.

#3 Rickystarr, Mar 25, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  4. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Low doses masculinize as much, it just takes longer.

T won't necessarily make you look super masculine. Those guys you listed are (probably) cis and they still aren't incredibly masculine, so there's no reason that you, who'd likely have lower testosterone levels than them, couldn't be a feminine guy.

5. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What Patrick said. Hormones are a mixed bag, and there's no telling what you'll experience--even if you take your genetics into account. Also, changes like muscle gain and fat redistribution will go back if you stop taking T; so some things are permanent, and some aren't.

If hair loss doesn't run in your family, you might be fine. I've been on T for two years, and my hairline has barely changed, if that helps. But if it does, there are treatments that can slow that down. If it's a concern for you, ask your doctor. I'd also say to avoid doing self treatments on your own without talking to your doctor about it, like using Rogaine, since they have have weird side effects.

Before you start, it's important to do as much research as you can to keep yourself educated. I'll include a link to a site that's a one stop shop for things like T changes, T myths, binder and packer information and all that. I hope this helps :grin:

Hudson's FTM Resource Guide