1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gender neutral haircut fail

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by musicheals315, Mar 24, 2017.

1. musicheals315

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So I was so excited to get my haircut in a more gender neutral/androgynous style. I went in with a picture of the youtuber Ash Hardell, a picture of a pixie over an undercut (which I already had the undercut, just had a chin-length bob), and then a more masculine style. I feel like i ended up with weird combo of all of the above and because I'm hair styling incompetent I have this weird style where my hair sticks up in some places and feel like i look way more masculine than I was hoping for. Any tips/suggestions for dealing with it until it grows out a bit? I feel like i look awful in hats, but I may have to do that to deal for a little while. I'm hoping it will be better in the morning once I sleep on it.

2. iHeartYouu

I dont have any advice but just want to share that I also have problems with my haircut haha. I got it done two days ago, and I dont really like it. But my mum loves it. Because for me, its TOO feminine. It looks 90% similar to shailene woodley's. I wanted one similar to amber of f(x). Like her 'Borders' music video hair. :frowning2: I didnt help much but i know how you feel. I look awful in hats too. Im planning to get it cut the way i like it in the next 2 weeks when it gets slightly longer. Maybe you can do that too!

3. EverDeer

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    as someone whose had short hair all my life and has even buzzed and cut it myself many different times / ways, here's the deal: it's not the type of hair you can just expect to be cut "well" and have it look perfect. This is often why pretty male models that have that edgy-masculine look features them like, messing up their hair or showing they're "rough but cute" or something like that and often why I think a lot of guys like to just buzz it off.... it's a pain to deal with. If you want it to look any kind of way, you're gonna have to style it. No matter who cuts your hair, if it's longer than an inch all over, it's gonna stick up and fall at weird angles. I'd suggest drying it with a blow drier (if it's not curly), straightening it or brushing it in the direction you want it to fall and getting some medium-hold soy or fiber paste, it's matte unlike gel and won't make it oily or slick but will allow you to move it where you want, and won't leave a crust like spray does.

#3 EverDeer, Mar 25, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  4. musicheals315

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Iheartyouu, sorry you also have to deal with a haircut you don't like. I feel like it's something I deal with quite often as I have no clue what to tell the hairstylists and then even if they get it perfect my own styling abilities are pitiful. Yeah I figure I will let it grow, I'm thinking once it grows out a little more it will look better. I also think I'm more worried about what other people will think of it and less that I don't personally like it. I look like a guy, I'd say I pretty closely resemble Matt Damon in Good Will Hunting back in the 1990's, but that wasn't the look I was going for and am not quite ready for people to be that confused about my gender, as I'm still trying to figure it out.

Kipper-thanks for the advice! Yes it's so hard to know what hairstyle will work best with my hair, my stylist did recommend using a paste, which when she cut it and styled it yesterday I felt like throughout the day it started to stick up more as it lost the initial style. Today I did basically what you suggested and feel that for the most part it looked pretty good, although what I felt was passing as somewhat feminine when i left for work, started to look more masculine as the day went on