1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you have gender dysphoria if you're cis?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by the wanderer, Mar 26, 2017.

1. the wanderer

I mean, I just might not be cis...
    I have always felt pretty comfortable as a woman. I'm female. I've never really questioned it at all. I've also always been a bit of a tomboy, but lately even more so than normal I've really... I don't know... resented(?) being "feminine". Doing the "girly" things; wearing skirts and dresses, putting on make-up, doing my hair, that kind of stuff.

It's not really just not enjoying it, or not doing it to make some kind of statement, it just feels so counter to who I am that at times, if I feel I have to do that stuff (I'm part of a dance group and a women's choir so at times it's required for those, or say on Christmas eve when I was going to "fancy church" with my family)actually doing it, or just thinking of doing it if I don't explicitly want to in that moment, will put me on the verge of tears, borderline panic attack.

I know gender is fluid and gender identity and expression don't always line up but this just seems so odd and new... I'm so confused

2. musicheals315

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't really have any advice or answers to your questions, but can say I definitely have those same thoughts and have been trying to identify if I'm cis and just gender non-conforming or if I'm some other gender identity...agender or genderfluid are the ones i keep circling back to, or just saying non-binary depending on the day and who i'm talking to.

3. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly that doesn't sound like gender dysphoria to me. Resenting being a woman and resenting being feminine and two very different things. Women don't have to be feminine and i think a lot of girls look towards gender identity instead of gender expression or just their individual personality. You don't have to wear dresses, wear makeup and do other stereotypically 'girly' things to be a woman. If you want my advice then I'd say play around with your gender expression, wear more masculine or androgynous clothing and see how that makes you feel. A lot of trans people have had differing gender expressions for years before realising they were actually trans so to jump straight to being trans before you've tried living as a masculine woman is missing a step. Just see how it goes for you? I hope you find yourself.

4. Renegades

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    That doesn't really line up wit gender dysphoria. Dysphoria is resenting being the gender you were assigned, not something that comes with it like stereotypical feminine or masculine things, though the two easily go hand in hand. Personally, dysphoria is wanting a flat chest, and male physique in general. Not just a rejection of femininity.

---------- Post added 27th Mar 2017 at 04:45 PM ----------

That doesn't really line up with gender dysphoria. Dysphoria is resenting being the gender you were assigned, not something that comes with it like stereotypical feminine or masculine things, though the two easily go hand in hand. Personally, dysphoria is wanting a flat chest, and male physique in general. Not just a rejection of femininity.

5. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's not gender dysphoria. Gender dysphoria is about hating the gender you are assigned, your pronouns, and physical traits (breasts, genitals, curves, voice, etc).

Being feminine has nothing to do with being a real woman. It's all socially constructed bullshit. Some cis women are feminine, some are masculine, and some do both.

There are also trans men who are feminine and like dresses and make-up. They are still men, and they still have gender dysphoria despite liking feminine things.

6. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Not gender dysphoria, but maybe just a reasonable reaction to an unreasonable world. Clothes are important, and the kind of fabric, cut, color, etc that is right for you is a pretty individual thing. What's inconvenient now is that you are in situations (dance, choir, church) where there are "uniforms". (In the general sense.) You're the latest in a long line of cool people who didn't like that.

7. musicheals315

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I guess one of the things I struggle with is when does general dysphoria, become gender dysphoria. I post something similar to what the original poster had said and was essentially told the same thing that what I'm experiencing isn't so much gender dysphoria, but just not wanting to be feminine, but I feel like it's deeper than just not wanting to identify with the gender roles. I know I have never been comfortable or happy in and with my body, but I don't think until recently I really thought it had anything to do with my gender, yet looking back I was always looking for ways to keep my chest from being recognizable without consciously trying to bind (wearing sports bras, wearing baggy clothes, etc). Also, in terms of those that identify with being gender fluid or any of the gender identities that included multiple genders, that if one of those genders is my biological or assigned gender, that I might only experience parts of dysphoria, such as the more social aspects and maybe to a lesser degree the physical aspects, because on somedays I feel closer to female, but others I'd don't have any connection to any gender. And do people who are apathetic about gender necessarily feel gender dysphoria, because that would mean feeling something related to gender, when i really just feel like a person.

8. EverDeer

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's sounds like you're beginning to learn how gender roles are often forced upon people, and you may be questioning if the things you do are simply born out of your actual desire or enjoyment of them, or if you "learned" them and would be interested in pursuing other options or rejecting what you're doing now. You're going to have to learn if the social anxiety you experienced was due to having to be read as a female or if it was simply because you felt forced into feminine gender roles, as these are two different things. If these feelings begin to progress and affect how you see yourself in comparison to other females, or how you feel in your body, then perhaps it could be a sign of some distress or gender identity shifting, but until then I'd say it's normal to experiment with expression and self-awareness and gender roles and finding out why you do the things you do.

#8 EverDeer, Mar 28, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2017