1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parents can't handle me painting nails

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by theCrazySquid, Mar 27, 2017.

1. theCrazySquid

Out Status:
    Some people
    I just can't take it anymore. I came home with my nails painted and when they noticed them, they said to remove the paint "RIGHT NOW!" It's ridiculous, I like to have my nails painted (I like beauty in general) and they say that guys just don't do that. They make me feel so alone, and they absolutely sound like idiots when they say guys don't paint their nails. They need to realize that I have my own life, and stopping me from doing it now, isn't going to stop me from doing it in the future. They are christians, and I respect that. I do not, however, respect them pushing it over me. I do not have anything against religious people in general. I don't know if I have any sense, but I do not see why men and woman have norms that people need to follow. I just can't take it anymore. I just don't want to be near them, I don't want to be part of their family, I just want to be myself, and express who I am. I just don't know anywhere I can be myself except for on the internet. Help?

---------- Post added 27th Mar 2017 at 12:36 PM ----------

By the way, hear them talking about me, and saying how their parents would take me to a psychiatrist.

2. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    theCrazySquid,

I'm sorry you are stuck in this situation. A lot of guys paint their nails nowadays. It isn't so much a gender issue anymore.

What is harsh is the comment about the psychiatrist. Are you old enough to try and find a place of your own? I'm sorry I didn't see an age listed.

Sebby45

3. theCrazySquid

Out Status:
    Some people
    No, sadly I am not old enough to own my own home, and the psychiatrist thing was, "Man, he's lucky he's not with my parents. They would have taken him to a psychiatrist."Thanks for the reply!

4. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah... often people who suffer from childhood indoctrination tend to think in a very small bubble, if something lies outside of it, they fear it. A lot of the texts they use as a basis on how to live their lives are older models than ENIAC itself.

That being said... You're a guy, you painted your nails, therefore guys can paint their nails. Simple, right? It's not exactly advanced knowledge. Or one would think.

Essentially, forcing somebody to act in a specific behavioral manner due to what's in their pants is like telling a racer they have to drive the car with their feet if it's pigment is red. There are no traces of logic.

Just be you. Not whatever clay puppet they want to mold you into. I suppose I had the same problem with my dad... Don't let their immaturity make you think any less of yourself.

5. Worker Bee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    People should be able to dress and express themselves however they want.

Clothes, hairstyles and makeup etc are an extension of the person within. No-one should have to hide or curb their identity.

6. WeDreamOfPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Quick question... where exactly do any Christian holy texts forbid a man to occasionally put on some nail polish, or eyeliner, or lipstick or whatever?

Seriously though, just be you. Don't hide it - just prove you are the same person with nail polish!

Admittedly, I have never been at all open about my wishes to wear makeup and nail polish as well as female undergarments to my own family... so only trust the advice of someone with evil anxiety and depression so much lol!

7. theCrazySquid

Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you guys so much! I'm also afraid that I am doing something wrong, and I don't want to disappoint my parents, and deep down I love them, and just want them to respect me. Also, how can I get away with wearing it if everytime I come home, they will MAKE me take it off?

8. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As far as getting away with it when you get home, that part I'm not too sure of... it's not something too easy to hide. There's always gloves sure, but I'm sure they'd question that pretty fast and expect them off too.

Many things I do, I was too afraid to continue until my father stopped seeing me. There's always waiting, but that's probably not the first option you'll want to jump to. Perhaps another can correct my uncertainty?

With my cowardly disposition I don't feel I'm fit to give a proper answer.

9. jadey95

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Maybe you can buy some fake nails with color on them so you can take them off when they are around? If you are worried about throwing them away at home, maybe at school or somewhere else you can dispose of them when done.

10. OtterGrump

I'm sorry I don't have any advice for you, but I find this ridiculous. I know straight guys who paint their nails sometimes (either one of them or all of them). You do you, man.

11. WeDreamOfPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Actually jadey's suggestion is the best of the bunch... fake nails :slight_smile: Stay awesome.

12. Casey221B

That really sucks! Somethings I can think of is that you could wear clear nail polish, it wouldn't be colourful but you'd be wearing it. Also, if you don't wear open-toed shoes and no socks a lot you could paint your toenails.

13. theCrazySquid

Out Status:
    Some people
    Okay, yeah I'm definitely going to try to get away with it anyway I can, so thank you for the suggestions!:icon_bigg