1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When Should I see a Psychiatrist?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by LizzerDizzer, Mar 30, 2017.

1. LizzerDizzer

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm working towards getting HRT and I have yet to talk to a psychiatrist OR a gender therapist and my question is: would it be better to see a psychiatrist first, even if I'll most likely need a letter from a gender therapist?? Or should I just start seeing a gender therapist and once I get the letter from them after around a year of seeing them then I'll go find a psychiatrist?

I'm mostly asking this because I don't want there to be any 'speedbumps' on my road to transitioning. I've had a lot of bumps slow me down and I'm still trying to catch up right now and It's just exhausting :confused:

Any help/advice is welcome because I'm just a clueless and anxious/paranoid boy

2. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    are you sure you need to see both? seems redundant.

3. LizzerDizzer

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Most psychiatrists need proof that you're a trans person that wants to transition, and that's where a gender therapist is needed to evaluate you and write a support letter after a certain number of sessions. People say it just depends on the psychiatrist or the hospital they work in but I think most need a letter from a certified gender therapist to give you the hormones.

Even if I don't necessarily need a gender therapist, I still want to see one so I can get support through transitioning and to show my family that I'm serious about this (because getting a job to pay for the sessions and medication (so far I gathered about $4,000), and working to get a license so I can drive there isn't enough :icon_sad:slight_smile: