1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Developments on gender identity

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Rdougall1, Apr 2, 2017.

1. Rdougall1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi,

I know I've been posting a lot lately but I have been making progress on my gender identity but am still experiencing slight confusion. While I definitely identify as male, I definitely feel like I fall into the more feminine category. Although I have made improvements in discovering my true self, there is something still missing.

Recently I went to a wedding shower for my aunt who was getting married in July. However, for some reason, I was disappointed that my stepdad and brother came. It's not that I did not enjoy their company, it just makes me feel more proud to be gay when I can go to stereotypically female events. I also felt really repressed because I thought some people looked really gorgeous in their outfits but some of my family does not know I'm gay so I felt uncomfortable commenting on them.

I also have been noticing that some of my personality from when I was younger is beginning to emerge again. I remember my aide from middle school tell me that I needed to "man up" because I would cry a lot more than he was comfortable with.

In addition, ever since accepting myself as gay, I have gotten into the bad habit of going days without brushing my teeth or showering. It really bothers me because I consciously care about my heigine, but I'm afraid of how I might act if I begin to do it regularly. My worst fear is being known as "the gay guy" because I know that is not a representation of all gay men.

Has anyone ever felt this way?