1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Attempting to talk about my issues

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by AbsoluteNerd, Apr 2, 2017.

1. AbsoluteNerd

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    To start, I'm not very good at talking about my feelings, so if anything needs clarification, ask, and I will clarify as best I can to help you help me.

So, around Christmas time, I started seriously questioning my gender. At the time, I thought I was MtF, although that was likely due to never having been exposed to any other gender identities. This was very confusing for me, because I saw a lot of stories on the interwebs where people had constant issue from a very young age, and that wasn't me. I never really had issue with being male, until that point.
    Fast forward to the middle of January. Since I first started questioning, I had been exposed to more gender identities than I had thought were possible. I had been leaning on a good friend for emotional support through this, and had just tried to come out to my parents as genderfluid, and now that seems really rushed, because I'm still not sure of myself, and hindsight is 20-20 and all that. I could see that they were trying to be open, but were having a hard time wrapping their heads around it.
    Fast forward again to today. Neither my parents nor I have brought up the issue since, and I really don't know still. So I guess in the end, it comes down to one question:
    Is it possible to be trans and not really experience extreme dysphoria, and when it does appear, only in certain situations?
    The question comes about because I've never had issue with my body, voice, etc, outside of a few specific situations, but at the same time, through a romance rpg/visual novel, I have had the space to safely explore being female without worry of repercussions, and I very much enjoyed it, to the point of being dissappointed in not "living" as Christine when I have to return tobthe real world. Any help is greatly appreciated. (I'm blind as a bat when it comes to my own emotions, so something is likely glaringly obvious and I'm just not seeing it.)

2. Eldridge

Dysphoria isn't just stuck to being trans and yes I'd say wether or not you experience it depends on many factors. I myself was fine with my body although I knew somethinng felt wrong sometimes and now I'm questioning wether or not I'm gender fluid or maybe fully identify as female. But that's something that I'm really gonna have to think about I experience quite a lot of dysphoria over that but there are people who can spend there days not having dysphoria over there body's even though it doesn't follow what society dictates as normal for their gender. But in the end I can only go off my own experiences and what I feel and see from what I've been given about you. In the end this may not be anything like your situation, but I hope I helped in some way

3. i am just me

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is possible to be trans and not experience dysphoria. Besides, dysphoria is not limited to body issues. There is physical dysphoria, which basically means that you aren't comfortable in your body because of its gendered features. And there is social dysphoria, which stems from being perceived as a gender you are not while interacting with others. Physical dysphoria can also just show itself as a slight disconnection from your body. I would describe it as feeling that my body doesn't reflect who I am properly.

You said that you only experience dysphoria in certain situations. I think that's also quite common. E.g. I basically ignore my body most of the time and only get dysphoric if someone specifically refers to me as a girl/woman ...(I'm afab) and once in a while my chest area really freaks me out.