1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starting fresh?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by musicheals315, Apr 6, 2017.

1. musicheals315

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So there's a chance I will be getting a new job soon, which I'm thinking would be the perfect chance to start living more authentically, especially as from what I have heard about the company/job it would most likely allow me a greater chance to have some kind of social life, seek counseling, and live a more financially secure life. I'm struggling though if I go in to the interview *fingers crossed* presenting more masculinely as I always hope to do at my current job but feel like people are going to look at me weird for this seemingly sudden change in appearance, or do I try and keep it neutral to avoid being so different keeping me from getting a job I could really use. I don't feel like I'm being suffocated if I dress more feminine, but I always look forward to not having to work so I can dress more comfortable, which is typically more masculine (t-shirts, my binder, hair styled more masculine, etc). Any thoughts or advice?

2. Najlen

Since it's an interview, I think you should wear whatever will make you fell the most confident. Clothes can have an impact on how you present yourself, and the more confident you seem the more likely it is that you'll get the job. Also, if you are insecure about your clothes people are more likely to notice that insecurity than if you're confident and are wearing something people might consider out of the ordinary.

In my experience, people don't really react much to me presenting masculine, except that directors tend to cast me as male even the few times I've auditioned as female. They definitely don't react negatively. I can't really speak for the people in your locality, but where I live it seems like it's pretty accepted for anyone to wear traditional mens clothing who wants to.

#2 Najlen, Apr 6, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  3. randomconnorcon

I've never come out during job interviews and no one has ever assumed I'm male or trans or just looked at me weird every time I've had an interview and worn shirts, pants, and ties. Occasionally a jumper, too. As long as you're dressed appropriately for an interview, smart and clean, they won't (or shouldn't) care what you wear, they'll only care about you, how your present yourself, and what you bring to the interview (stuff like confidence, knowledge of the company, etc).

Good luck!