1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions about college stuff.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Natasha Elyssa, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Natasha Elyssa

I'm going away to college soon, Cambridge Massachusetts to be exact. I'm only like two months from graduating high school. Given what's coming in the next few months, I have some questions.

The biggest conflict right now is car related. I'm getting another car soon and that's a thing. I need a car for what I'm doing, no doubts about it. It's an argument every time I try to talk to my parents about it, but it's whatever. That's a while other thing. My biggest questions for this are:

Do I need to get a driver's license in Massachusetts? Do I need to register my car in Massachusetts? How will this affect the car being on my parent's insurance in NYC? My parents are afraid that the car will be stolen, vandalized, or towed away if I park it somewhere off campus. Is this really a problem? Especially with the towing thing? I really don't want my car to be towed.

Next is more about the area. Is Cambridge nice? One of the biggest things people keep telling me about going away to college is that I don't know what the area is like. If it's posh or the hood. My parents love to bring that up. What is Cambridge and the neighboring towns like? Is it bad? Are there areas I should avoid? I liked Cambridge, bit I only stayed there overnight to go to an open house and I definitely know nothing about Massachusetts let alone Cambridge.

Next up is LGBT related. How is Cambridge in regards to LGBT? Is Cambridge really liberal like I've been lead to believe, or is it a bit rough on the whole LGBT thing? In a previous post, people told me that Massachusetts was great for LGBT, however I want to know more about the specific areas I'll be in. I want to know what it's going to be like being openly Trans in this area and if transition is going to be more difficult, stuff like that.

There's a lot of things I want to know that I should contact the school about, so I won't write those questions here. But where can I find more information on the area surrounding the school? My parents keep making it seem like I could be moving into the ghetto and I'll probably get robbed every day, but that's probably all fear tactics. But is there anything I should know about Cambridge? Or even Massachusetts as a whole? What information should I be looking for besides what I mentioned here? Where should I look for information? Stuff like that.

Moving to Massachusetts is going to be hard enough considering I'm basically leaving everything I've ever known and moving myself to a new place. It's already creeping up on me, the whole leaving my friends and family and everything I've ever known behind and taking only a small amount of stuff with me thing. Also moving is going to be a hassle in general, but that's just common place. But I want to make leaving NYC and moving to Cambridge as smooth and painless as possible. I want to know exactly what I'm getting myself into and all of that stuff. Given my intentions, and practicality of life, I want to be smart about these things. I fully plan to transition and do all of that while pursuing independence and starting life anew and also while studying things I love. I want to pursue film, fire rescue stuff, aviation, law enforcement, and all sorts of things. My ultimate goal in life is to be stable financially, not struggle with paying bills, have a decent social life, and have a career I enjoy while being able to explore dozens of opportunities. In the end, I just want a good stable life. This is where the road begins, so it only makes sense to want as much knowledge as possible going in. I need more than a map to travel by.