1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ADHD and Transgender?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Cadi04, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Cadi04

Anyone else has ADHD and are transgender? How do you coup? Thinking I have ADHD and it makes it tough to have relations with others. Though I sorta knew this from when I was younger but never thought of it till later in life when the stuff that ADHD I had to deal with popped up with me also. Seems I have a touch of dyslexia also. Problems pronouncing words and spelling. Even now i use a grammar / spell checker.

#1 Cadi04, Apr 7, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2017
  2. Lazuri

I don't have ADHD, but I have ADD. Quite frankly, I just take pills.

3. Cadi04

Never was given pills for my condition. mostly because it is expensive. The new term is ADHD meaning for both types I believe. AD/HD. I got confused on this also, but after reading a bit on it on facebook I learned a lot about myself. Funny how it took so long to figure some things out. Go through your 20's to 30's and not realize I had problems bottled up.

4. Lazuri

ADD and ADHD is nearly the same condition, but not quite, so they need to differentiated. Basically, I'm missing the "hyperactivity" that the "H" in "ADHD" stands for.

Yeah, I didn't get diagnosed with it until well after the ADD and my Asperger's had already fucked over my school life. But I feel a lot better just knowing what ails me, so to speak.

I also got a bit better just knowing what my problem is and how it works, but even then, you can't really FORCE yourself to focus, but that's where the pills come in. Luckily, getting meds is not a difficult task in Sweden, so I was luckier in that respect than you were.

5. Cadi04

I was not hyperactive either. Hard for me to make eye contact with anyone while talking and drift away or get bored quickly. I'm quick to anger at times when I get frustrated but just thought anyone could do that. My room is a mess also and can't find half the things I never use. I pick up a book and read one then go to another. read that a bit then go to another. etc. Sometimes if the book is short enough ill finish it. Like the hobbit by JRR token. Can't seem to keep a job long enough and still don't know why really. Other than people discrimination about how I am. I would call myself very loyal but a bit too truthful. I say what is on my mind and comes back with backlash, even though I didn't have ill intents with what I was saying, but look back at it later and feel really bad about it. I cut people off on what they say because If I don't I forget what ill say. the list goes on.

The other part of my issue is, I know a word I want to say but can't pronounce it right. Even after I'm corrected I won't remember for the next time. Was like that since I was born. Just certain words I just can't pronounce and end up wording things differently.

Got the feeling if I go along with taking HRT my life won't get better. another 15 days to go to see a doc if I'm healthy enough for it. The reason is above. I need FFS and that is 40k. not covered.

6. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My focus issues are largely related to Aspergers, but I have a suspicion I am bordering on ADHD as well. Or at least the sensory and focus aspects of the former are similar to some aspects of the latter.

And I kid you not, but I got distracted while writing this comment and came back to finish it about 30 minutes later. Anyway...

The thing about having a "racing mind" is that it is difficult to focus sometimes or even sit still. But with all things, education is key. Make an effort to understand how your mind works and devise a plan to accommodate that. For me, I get distracted by noises, bright lights, clutter, or open doors. So I've learned to tidy up, shut all the doors, wear light filtering glasses, and headphones with instrumental music while I study. It may sound extreme, but it works and often is the only way I can accomplish work.

Also, if your mind is buzzing with something or you need to move around, try to get it out of the way. But be intentional about it. Don't just fidget while at work or school and zone out, but realize when you're slipping into ADHD mode and check yourself out for a physical or mental break. Sometimes I will be trying to study but thoughts suddenly spring in my mind about a certain song or project I need to do and then I will think about that and have a miniature debate in my head about what I "should" be thinking about. Or my leg will be insistently hopping out of restlessness and so I know to take thirty minutes to do some yoga and center myself, physically and mentally.

If you are getting distracted, sometimes it is best to set aside a certain amount of time for a mind break. But make sure to set an alarm to remind you when it is time to get your mind back to the task at hand. Also, as a side note, I find that audiobooks and tutorial videos (such as for yoga) are immensely valuable for focus. Instead of wrestling to get your eyes to absorb words, you can listen and that is often relaxing plus you are accomplishing something. With videos, being walked through an activity takes the pressure off of you to remember what and how long and how to do something so it eliminates several distraction possibilities.

7. Cadi04

Very informational. I should try some of this when I have projects or work to be done. I tend to multitask if I don't and end up away from what needs to be done. I can't even sleep if I hear the slightest noise either. Restless sleeper.

8. anthracite

anthracite Guest

ADHD, no meds. I'm doing a lot of sport which helps a lot.

9. Cadi04

I do walking or bike riding. hard for me to get into sports. Just not interesting or fun for me. Some reason I fall asleep when watching sports on TV also.

#9 Cadi04, Apr 7, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2017
  10. Zoe Izumi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Diagnosed ADHD in elementry school, was a bit shy also, got misdiagnosed as autistic(or asbergers don't really remember which) in High School by the school... NOT a therapist/psychologist, they said "no, this child is not that" because I moved around the table and snuggled up to them.

Anyway, I deal with ADHD with music, I even have enough control over the H part to use it like backup energy.

11. anthracite

anthracite Guest

Yeah music is great to focus for me. But without my sport I can't manage to work on my laptop for more than 10 minutes without standing up and walking around or at least changing position permanently.

12. Cadi04

Think I'm more ADD than ADHD. I get distracted but not hyper unless I drink too much coffee.Anyway, I have been in special learning aid classes all my life and when I try to upgrade my education I get frustrated easy when I can't understand what I'm reading. End up giving up. I take up too much of the teacher's time,I feel.hard for me to find ways to deal with this. Even the teacher agreed with me... it sucks.

---------- Post added 10th Apr 2017 at 02:51 PM ----------

I use sit under the teachers desk in elementary school.

---------- Post added 10th Apr 2017 at 02:52 PM ----------

I get distracted when listening to music when I read. Hard time taking what I read in.

13. Rachyl

Rachyl Guest

I've just recently been diagnosed with severe ADHD, as well along with OCD, and general anxiety disorders. I've spent the last six months slowly going through therapy and medications to help improve my ability to put a filter on my thoughts and slow down my racing ideas.

This has allowed me to increase my focus, and it helps me to keep from putting my foot into my mouth when doing or speaking to others. It's been a slow process, but I can see so many things that I've done in the past because I didn't think things through.

Especially the consequences of my actions. My life is slowly coming into focus, and it will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

14. Cadi04

Sounds great! I wish I could control how I feel more and stop and think before I speak. I think I'm getting better but I'm bad at judging myself. I wish I could go back to not saying anything like in high school. People seemed to like me more then and when I did speak they would laugh at my weird way of expressing things.