1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Binder pain

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by musicheals315, Apr 9, 2017.

1. musicheals315

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So I've recently started wearing a binder (a GC2B one to be exact), I feel like for the most part it's fairly comfortable and fits appropriately. However, I've noticed that even wearing it for only a few hours my back starts to hurt as if it needs to be cracked or popped. The last couple days I've ended up wearing it for longer than 8 hours, so I realize that's partly my bad, but i feel awkward trying to bring something else to change into if it gets past that 8 hours point. Is there anything to do to alleviate it from causing as much discomfort? I read a post about an app that reminds you to stretch every hour, but I wasn't sure what kind of stretching I should be doing.

2. Eldrher

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My parents won't let me bind so I don't know much about it. I'd suggest not wearing it for a few days then start again? Don't go past the 8hr point. It can damage you.
    Hope I helped :slight_smile:

3. Najlen

I've been having the same problem with mine. Stretching is a good idea, anything that will stretch your back muscles helps. Stretching your arms over your head and leaning from side to side, putting a hand on your hip and twisting in the direction of your hand, things like that. Having proper posture while wearing a binder is really important, but can be hard to keep up when there's a band of spandex constricting your back and chest. I do core exercises every night to help with that, planks, side planks, sit ups and leg lifts all help with back pain.

4. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member Away

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you're in pain, you should give your body a break.
    As for exercises, you can stretch out your arms and neck and take a few deep breaths every now-and-then.
    Try not to wear it for more than 8 hours, and do not sleep in it.

There's a few good things to keep in mind when wearing a binder and taking care of yourself and it here:
    https://www.buzzfeed.com/skarlan/xx...m=.hrn7reOJyp&sub=4363529_9683862#.hy10zbalDB

5. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What Spencer said. If you're having pain, take a break for a while and don't over exert yourself.

6. EverDeer

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Just adhere to how your body reacts; even if your binder is an appropriate size for you it could simply be your own endurance or how your body reacts. I can't even wear a regular snug sports bra, let alone a binder, most days due to a chronic upper body pain condition I have. Everybody's different.

7. Delta

I've noticed that GC2B binders are comfortable, but too compressive on the trapezius muscles, which throws my whole upper back out of alignment and makes me really sore. For Christmas last year my girlfriend got me an UnderWorks MagiCotton binding bra. It doesn't get me quite as flat, but it's a lot gentler on the back and so if I need to be out for an extended time or I've been hurting lately, I switch to that one.

Another thing that honestly helps me so so much with alll binding pain is to take it off whenever I go to the bathroom. Even just taking a break for 5 minutes at lunch helps keep my ribs and back from getting sore. If I can I do some shoulder warmups and stretches before I put it on again, like moving my arms in small or large circles and some yoga poses. My best guess on why is that it gives my body a chance to relax and work out any small knots or lactic acid buildups in the muscles, before they become bigger ones.

When it's too late and I already hurt, heat helps me.

---------- Post added 10th Apr 2017 at 01:37 AM ----------

All of these are stretches I sometimes use depending on what exactly is sore.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

8. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with taking a break on days you can get by without binding. Just staying at home (if you are alone) wearing a top without a bra or binder can be really relieving and give your back a break. (Hoodies are fabulous).

One stretch I like to do if I am on my feet and my back gets that "pop" feeling is to put my hands on a counter, or similar surface, and just walk my feet back until my back cracks. Feels good and relieves some of that tension if you are working and have that feeling. And no one will think you are strange either. :wink: Because I'm sure they've done it before as well.

A hot/warm bath with epsom salts also relieves muscle aches. A good thing to do before bed.

Hope some of this helps,

Sebby45