1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are good ways or tests to see if you are trans for sure?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by GastonEggs, Apr 11, 2017.

1. GastonEggs

GastonEggs Guest

I mean, I've been making myself male in the sims, but because I'm not really out or entirely sure, how can I, like, "check my transness" so to speak? I don't know how else to word this, sorry.:confused:

2. Najlen

If you're seriously questioning and you think that you're trans, you probably are. There isn't really a test, but you can try looking at the DSM 5 gender dysphoria criteria and see if you fit. That's a good starting place. Some people don't really experience dysphoria and are still trans, so if you don't fit that doesn't necessarily mean that you aren't. I think one of the best ways to know for sure is to think about your life in the future and how you want it to be. I always imagined myself living as a man in the future but didn't realize it until after I started questioning. I hope that helps.

Also, I love your user, it's hilarious.

3. AaronV

Well, unfortunately, you are the only person who can truly know whether you're trans or not. You could try to test out different pronouns and names both offline and online. Just take small baby steps, maybe buy a binder to see how you feel about binding, buy some male clothing. You don't have to rush anything. :slight_smile:

4. KenDarling

I think a good way to kinda get hints as to what your gender is,is to see how you think about yourself when you aren't actively thinking about your gender. Kinda hard to explain but like an example is how sometimes when im not thinking about anything i'll look down at my pants and think 'wait, why is my crotch so flat?' when i actively think about myself, i draw a blank and forget how i feel about everything, so try to relax and see where your thoughts go naturally

5. rokara

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I often find myself doing the same thing as KenDarling does, only the opposite way. I look down and wonder why my chest is flat, wishing a had boobs, and wishing that the bulge where my crotch is wasn't so noticeable.

Like other posters have said, the only way you can know for sure is to experiment and explore your gender identity. If you feel like you are trans without a shadow of a doubt, seek out a good gender therapist in your area.

6. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For me it's just about whether or not you can go through life as your assigned gender. When I couldn't handle it anymore I knew I had to transition. Do you think you would be happier if you transitoned? Can yoy picture yourself as the other gender in the future? How does the thought make you feel?

If you can you should talk to a gender therapist even if you are only 50% sure. They will help you work through your questioning.

#6 Rickystarr, Apr 13, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  7. DoriaN

It's largely arbitrary, which is why a lot of discussion has been raised with arguments on many sides.

Ask a different person/group get a different answer.

To me it's when it's crippling enough with dysphoria that you'd rather give up friends and in some cases family in order to correct a pervasive misalignment with the brain and body, to where you need to physically alter yourself and actively engage in cross gender living to alleviate day to day, hour to hour, even minute to minute distress; before and/or after having seen a doctor regarding it.

For myself it was like I was in a trance, and magically wound up in the doctor's office to talk to someone about it before I realized what was all going on.

At the time I didn't want to be trans but I knew I felt feminine and strange. Sadly the system in place within my province was pushy and all too eager to make me transition when at the time I just wanted to talk about it; as such I have gained a growing skepticism to the system and towards medicine (Among other reasons why).

8. KitSylph

Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't know of any absolute tests, but here are a couple of questions I've asked myself that have been helpful for me.

What gender would I present to the world if everyone would be perfectly happy and supportive with me regardless of my choice? (Sometimes I feel like being transgender is "too much trouble," but then I realize it's just that I'm tired of the amount of work my body takes to be presentable and tired of worrying what everyone thinks of me.)

If I had a magic wand that I could wave and make myself look great as whatever gender I liked, what gender would that be? (In my case, being bi-gender, my first response is to find out whether I can use the magic wand as many times as a I want.)

The idea of these questions is to separate out the judgment and stress and see what makes sense to you when all that is taken away.

#8 KitSylph, Apr 20, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  9. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member Away

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You could try living as male for a year, get friends/family to call you by male pronouns/male name and see it you like it, and if it's not you you could go back or be androgynous or neither if that's what makes you more comfortable.

10. grass

grass Guest

Think about what would make you the most content. Do you want to dress/be seen/express as a guy? Or do you want to physically transition? You can identify as a woman but still express yourself in a masculine way. I really like Hawk's response.