1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shopping (female clothes)

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Black Rose, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Black Rose

Hello everyone

I've been lurking through the forms for a bit now as I have been questioning and the forums have helped so far so I thought it time to talk myself.

I'm assigned male birth, but have been questioning for awhile now. Activity since around middle school (college senior now), but really since I can remember I had thought about it. I think I am some kind of genderfluid, possible demigirl? I cant' say I'm sure i'm still questioning things.

Currently i'm out to my close friends. And technically my parents, although they don't really get it and right now since it was an accident that I told them and it wasn't the best of events I'm just letting that sit.

Anyways onto my whole topic. Recently I have been experimenting with more female things and feel I found clothes that I really liked. I was talking to my friend about this and she offered to help me shop for them. Firstly I expected this to be the summer, but it will be much sooner than that (this weekend we were talking). I'm scared to do it, but I really want to go. I also know if I decide not to that'll be fine.

If I do decide to go the issues come into how do I do this? I am not out enough to feel even remotely consider trying clothes on or anything like that. I'll feel uneasy just in the racks honestly!

Does anyone have any advice on sizing and how to figure out from male to female sizes or how I would go about trying to figure out what it is I'm aiming for? As well as any other advise on doing this since it'll be my first time doing anything like this.

Thank you all!

2. Najlen

Going from female to male sizes I generally have to go down from a small or medium (female) to an extra small (male). So going from male to female sizes I would say add a size or two on to what you normally buy. That works for tops, but pants, skirts and dresses are more difficult. Those sizes are numbered from zero to 16 and the only way to tell what will fit is to try them on because they tend to differ from store to store. The general rule for converting mens sizes to womens is to subtract 21 from whatever size pants you wear.

If you feel weird looking in the women's section it's ok, but if it helps at all people will probably just assume you're helping your friend shop. If your friend is similar in size to you maybe you could ask her to try things on? Honestly though I don't think people would really notice if you did it. You might get a few weird looks if you were carrying something really feminine into a dressing room, but how many times have you actively studied what other people were carrying when you went to try on clothes? I could be wrong, but if you wanted to try things on I don't think people would really notice. So I guess my advice is to try not to be too nervous and have fun!

3. Really

Take a look at some online shopping sites. They should have size charts based on measurements. You can get an idea that way; maybe not exactly but a pretty good approximation.

While you're in the stores, remember nobody gives a flip about anyone but themselves. Other customers won't notice and all the sales staff cares about is making a sale.

4. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    With pants, subtract 21 (I think) from your current size to get an idea of where you might fit. Like...32-21= 11.

With shirts and dress sizes, I'm not too sure. There's online size conversion charts if that helps. You'd just take your size and see where it aligns with another fit, if all else fails, go a size up from that size if it's too tight.

---------- Post added 12th Apr 2017 at 03:00 PM ----------

With pants, subtract 21 (I think) from your current size to get an idea of where you might fit. Like...32-21= 11.

With shirts and dress sizes, I'm not too sure. There's online size conversion charts if that helps. You'd just take your size and see where it aligns with another fit, if all else fails, go a size up from that size if it's too tight.

5. Chef

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    heres a easier way to think of sizing. 1 take a 30 inch waist, so in womens i take a 6 or 7 in pants and jeans. mens shirts i take a medium , but in womens seeing i wear a 38c bra i take it in large. bras, measure your chest size then think of the cup size you want. panties i find they go the same. medium medium. shoes, i take a 9 mens but womens i take a 10 wide, depending on the shoe. dont worry about going to a womens store to look at clothing. you'd be surprised if you mention that your a different gender they can be very helpful. enjoy life dont worry so much

6. Black Rose

So I did it... It was terrifying but we did it.

Luckily I'm similar in size to my friend so that helped a lot so I didn't have to try anything on in stores.

Once I got a bit accustomed to it it wasn't too bad having my friend helped a lot. It hit a point where the hardest part wasn't being out and looking at clothes, but actually selecting what I wanted which was exciting and scary at the same time.

I did when we back try everything on and it fit. It all felt a little awkward and overwhelming at first trying everything on but it was fun. It's only now that everything has kind of hit me.

Thanks everyone for the help!