1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dysphoria

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by The1nkling, Apr 15, 2017.

1. The1nkling

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Do you think dysphoria is required to be trans or non-binary? Why or why not?

#1 The1nkling, Apr 15, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2017
  2. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally, yeah i do. If you don't feel dysphoira then essentially you're choosing to be trans and thats just not what trans is. I'd do anything to be a cis male and have a male body and i don't know why anyone would identify as trans when they don't feel any hatred/uncomfortable feeling for their body or designated sex. Makes absolutely zero sense to me.

3. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you feel dysphoria depends on a number of factors... it's not that simple.

---------- Post added 16th Apr 2017 at 06:51 AM ----------

Being transgender is a whole spectrum of things. How you feel doesn't have to neccesarily match your likes and dislikes.

4. AaronV

There is social dysphoria though. I essentially realized I was trans because of my social dysphoria and now that I've been on T for quite some time and I pass 100% my dysphoria has become a lot more physical.

However, I do think you need at least some degree of either social or body dysphoria to be binary trans. Dysphoria is not black and white, obviously, but if you're not bothered by your body, pronouns/any other gendered language I'd probably advice against a full transition.

5. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Pronouns are dysphoria too? I'd count that under sense of self... but it's just minor opinion differences...

I agree, once I came out and started to be a guy for some people, I experienced the greatest moment of shame in my whole life, and that was about my boobs.

I don't know, I just knew... A sense of knowing accompanied me for years, but I wasn't able to understand it... Intuition. Gut feeling.

6. dyl pickle

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it depends. If you have never once felt uncomfortable with your body (and not the normal awkward way), then it's a little complicated. It's pretty unlikely for someone trans* to not have felt any dysphoria. There's also a difference between no dysphoria and just being accepting and okay with your body.

I think dysphoria is a pretty prominent part of being trans, but however, if what you identify as is what makes you happy and comfortable, then good for you! You'd be lucky to not deal with dysphoria, and all that matters is your happiness and wellbeing. I think there's definitely a chance that nonbinary people experience less dysphoria than binary trans people, because they don't feel the complete opposite of their body (usually, again it depends on the person).

Sorry for the long response, but all in all, be what makes you happy, comfortable, and at peace with yourself. <3

7. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    no it isnt. because there's no right or wrong way to be Trans* it's such a hugh umbrella. Bigender is trans, Gender Fluid is trans, Gender Queer is trans, NB is trans, MTF is trans, FTM is trans etc. and not everyone has dysphoria; or if they do, have it to the same degree.

one does not choose to be Trans, one is Trans; it is part of who we are.

8. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you don't experience physical, mental, or social dysphoria at all (or never have), then how does that work? I don't know, maybe I'm just being an old school dick.

9. Cailan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No. Some people have no dysphoria with being trans. They're trans and okay with it, and may or may not transition. Especially non-binary trans who are completely comfortable with their various gender identities. Yes, most do have dysphoria, but not all.

Also, things that are assumed to be dysphoria inducing, such as gender pronouns and the mere existance of their genitals, aren't dysphoric for many trans. I have no interest in gender pronouns or name changes. My genitals are fine, except a part seems to be missing, LOL. Phantom penis! I struggle to understand the upset over "dead names." My dysphoria is usually subtler, low level chronic and centered around gender presentation, except for the phantom penis dysphoria which can be acute, or if I try to present as male, which becomes very acute when I totally fail. My body at the moment is simply too female.

10. MichealStrider

No, I don't think so. Me personally I have Major Top dysphoria but Bottom Dysphoria to me doesn't mater that much. I don't really see my bottom half when I'm naked so It doesn't worry me. I have a Non-Binary friend That wants to get rid of her chest but keep her bottom half as well. But most of the time Dysphoria doesn't strike until someone brings up the places you don't like. So If you are simply ok with your body then you don't have to have dysphoria But if you feel like your body isn't your Palace then You can change it as you please.

11. Cailan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Also, I know some transgender who had no problem with being their birth gender, but felt a greater desire to be the other gender. They're very happy post-transition.

12. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I personally believe you do, but dysphoria comes in many forms.

13. AaronV

I think it intertwines. Using myself as an example, she pronouns trigger my dysphoria which is why I prefer he pronouns. That preference is most likely due to my sense of self. ^^

14. Quniverse

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, it's not. Being trans or nb simply means you identify that way. How you identify has no direct correlation with how you feel about your body. I have a lot of cis friends who hate curves and boobs and would opt for a more androgynous shape. They are nonetheless cis gender girls. I also have a nb friend who is completely fine with her female body. Many of us do experience dysphoria, it's true, but that doesn't mean it's a requirement. There's no rule book on what you need to be a certain identity. The only thing you need is to know that you are ___. You don't need to look like this, present like that, feel this way, or anything other than be who you are.

15. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I prefer he pronouns because I am a he, lol. As stupid as it sounds. I don't feel bad when someone calls me a she, because I look like a she, I seem like a she, I can't blame anyone. But I'm not a she.

What I would consider to be a trigger for monesters for me is when someone tries to make me feel bad for feeling male and not female and identifying as male, or why do I need to and so forth... But that's called societal pressure and identity.

I think many people could count the things I experience as dysphoria, but I'm much of a philosopher and I refuse to pathologise who I am. I'm not ill and I'm not a victim, I refuse to be a victim and refuse to take pity. I'm just different. The reason I feel bad is other people and their lack of respect for and/or understanding of who and what I am. I refuse to hate. I refuse to hate myself for things I cannot control. Not that I didn't have my hangups. Absolutely not, I self-harmed when I was a dumb teenager and realised how crazy it is and why I'm doing it. I don't feel okay talking about this episode, because that was dumb as hell. I don't think others have to go through it and I'll do anything so that others don't have to go through it.

I'm all about the topic, because it confused me for a long time that I feel male and I'm okay being a woman.

16. Marbabar

This back and forth has been so helpful to me, figuring out what's going on with myself. So, thank you all for respectfully putting your opinions and understandings out into a public space.

I've been really wrestling with whether to consider myself trans, considering I don't hate my male body, and I'd miss ~certain parts~ very much, I just wish I had the female parts more to match my heart better. Still working it out but threads like these help. :slight_smile: