1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Androgynous Boy or Androgynous Girl?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by tomboyprettyboy, Apr 17, 2017.

1. tomboyprettyboy

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello everyone! I'm new and I decided to subscribe to EC basically to make this post:
    I am really confused about my gender identity
    when I was a little kid I showed no signs of dysphoria, I was born a boy and I used to play with boys and identified with male cartoon characters except for one character who was from Mew Mew which I used to watch secretly because I was embarassed to get caught doing "girl things", I also used to play with my two female cousins with dolls but I, obviously, always used the male one and I was fine with it, so I basically was just a little boy with a regular masculine side and a little hidden feminine side, one night tho when I was around the age of 5 I dreamt I was dressed as a girl and I was acting as one talking on a fake phone, I don't know if I was female in that dream or if I was just dressed as one, I was embarassed about that dream and I never talked about it to anyone.
    In middle school I was called "gay" "faggot" and "girl" because I was really skinny and delicate, but I also used to get angry at my bullies, which is a typical male reaction, but at the age of 12 I started finding interest in female clothing and I used to wear my moms shoes and tights, at one point, thights caused me arousal and I would masturbate layed on the bed with open legs (I know, I was a weird kid and I had no girlfriend as all the other boys did in my school so...), at that point I thought that I was either gay or trans and I had to hide it, I also wanted to be "respected" so I took on a masculine rapper figure but that only caused me to get bullied even more, then I stopped cross dressing and I fell in love with a girl, in the second year of high school, at the age of 15 I let go of the rapper figure I created and started exerimenting with my style, I really liked alternative styles and I started to dress with skinny jeans and large tops and I wanted a sidecut, I was basically trying to emulate an alternative tomboy, I also wanted to wear eyeliner but I was scared of people's thoughts, at the age of 16 with my hair still growing after a bad haircut (the barber did not want to make me a sidecut because "it is for women") I started inspiring my self to Frank Wolf (an androgynous guy who was popular on facebook but then he killed himself..) at some point I thought I was mtf and I started abandoning all my masculine interests (cars and scientific stuff) and I waited the end of the year to change school (I spent the first three high school years in a very masculine school, I had very few friends, both guys and girls and my first two girlfriends were both bisexual) so at the age of 17 I met a girl who thoght she was a lesbian but we fell in love and I came out to her as genderfluid (at the time I was going back and forth from feeling like a femboy to feeling like a girl) and I wanted so bad to be an androgynous male model, I was really feminine that year, I used to wear leggins and send photos of my legs to my girlfriend and I had a female bestfriend who liked to dress me up, tho I never used a bra because I thought "I'm an androgynous male, not a crossedresser" (I always hated that term anyways) then my girlfriend came out as genderfluid too and we broke up, after that I cut my hair short and I tried to be more masculine but then I slowly started to be more feminine to the point I was just fine with being an androgynous boy who had both masculine an feminine interests until now... I'm having a crysis, I took a lot of gender identity and brain functions test on the internet, it seems that I'm a case of "psychological androginy" and that's all right I feel really androgynous but I don't know what I should do with my body, I'm cool with being an androgynous boy (I've been blessed on my looks) but I also would like to be an androgynous lesbian like Shane McCutcheon from The L World, I know that if my body was more masculine I would hate it, but I don't feel the need of having a female chest and I'm fine with having a penis as long it's not noticeable, this summer I also covered my chest for a photo at the sea and I hate having a beard, which could be an mtf dysphoria sign.
    I really don't know anymore, socially it would have been better if I was a girl using guy clothes, because as a guy I'm currently used to avoid things that are too feminine but I'm slowly starting to dress occasionally more feminine but not using dresses or anything "clearly feminine" I would also prefer to pass as a girl when in girl's clothes (I would like to dress both ways)
    so it's clear that I'm androgynous but should I be a boy or a girl?

2. Foxfeather

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Skrillex has a bloody sidecut.

---------- Post added 18th Apr 2017 at 11:56 AM ----------

I feel that what might be happening is that women, because we started off as a more oppressed gender, had to fight our way from wearing dresses to jeans. We've had more freedom in how we express ourselves. A man has to be a man has to be a man. But ladies don't have to be ladies anymore.

That's why it can be so tough when a man wants to dress femininely or like a woman. You've never had a chance to transition in history from wearing jeans to dresses (though oddly, men have worn dress-like robes and skirts in everywhere from Scotland to Japan). I give you kudos for trying to be yourself despite all these dumb masculine expectations that society's put on you.

Perhaps you are genderqueer or genderfluid?

Androgyny means having both features of male and female, anyways, so whichever way you lean is your choice and is 100% right for you.

See, I'm a trans guy but I actually don't want hormones because I don't want all the unfun stuff that goes with being a guy. I don't want to bald. I don't want to be super hairy. I don't want a beard that needs shaving. So for me, being born a woman has, oddly, its perks, despite the dysphoria. For you, I think you've found that your body has aspects that you like. And that's fine.

You know, in Southern Korea and Japan, there's been a lean towards more feminine looking men. They wear lipgloss, have elegant, feminine pale skin, and rock everything from eyeliner to undercuts to skinny jeans. It's a thing somewhere else and you can rock it here, too.

3. tomboyprettyboy

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You are totally right! I always thought that, Girls can be girls AND boys... while "boys will be boys" I wonder if the thought of transitioning started from that, I mean I prefer to keep my body really neutral, as far as you can't tell if it's a boy dressing girlish or a girl dressing boyish, and I also like being (?) both: I really feel appropriate both "pretty boy" and "tomboy" to me, as you can tell by my username.

Well I used to define myself as genderfluid for a long period but I kinda don't like that anymore becouse people say stuff like "this doesn't exist" "you are just a special snowflake" sure, I'm a fucking introvert scared to end up being alone and I want to feel special, yeah, really... and I didn't even came out that much, only few people know me as genderfluid, so I leaned more toward defining myself as an androgynous boy (well I was born a boy, so), no one ever says "androgyny doesn't exist" because it does from a really long time and you don't even need to be intersex to look androgynous.

The problem is that I even act romantically/erotically both as boy and as a girl, I like being a "pretty boy" or a delicate boy that can look like a girl if dressed as one, but I also like having like... sexy legs, tho I tried to imagine my body as stereotipically feminine and I felt discomfort... I know I really like androginy and slying both ways... even tho my boyish appeareance could be replicated by a cute girl who is androgynous enough and I'm really ok that way, I don't want any male secondary characteristic to be evident... I dislike facial and body hair anyways... but I would also feel strange with big breasts... or brests that you can't hide, so basically my question was if I should transition or not.. I think, relationship wisely it would be better, I would be a butch who sometimes is feminine, or the opposite, it would be more accepted, but that doesn't mean I have to, but I guess finding an accepting and loving and hopefully even enjoying partner will be complicate this way...

As for japan and south korea, yeah, I know! I'm a fan of visual kei and k-pop

I understand your logic, I read that feminine hormones can make you moody and I was like "hell no... I already am too much" and that if I had to go trought srs I would also have to undergo electrolisis, and that really hurts a lot, so maybe I can avoid it and keep my actual genitals.
    I also know that there are people who decide to not transition for various motivations
    Testosterone does not necessarly make you go bold, for an example I'm male but I have really strong hair that grows fast (that's also due to genetics), maybe my testosterone isn't exactly the highest... but obviously I'm totally fine with it, not only I look more androgynous but I have less side effects and I don't care about muscles so

4. Foxfeather

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Then it's official. Your gender is ... K-pop star.

Just kidding. But I hope you know it's okay to not be sure about your gender identity. Androgyny means both male and female--so why sweat so hard about whether you're an androgynous guy or an androgynous girl? :slight_smile: Just feel it out, and don't worry too much about it. Put your energy into jus tbeing you.

5. tomboyprettyboy

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    hahaha! best laugh in weeks...
    I'm feeling more calm now, I always worry because at the end of day you have to be mainly one thing or the other, especially if you are not in a relationship with someone who is bisexual

6. Nike007

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello. I identity as androgyne, but more masculine than feminine, though I'm AFAB.

I feel like it's harder on men to look more feminine than woman to look more masculine in general. It doesn't have to be a gender related thing. For example, many of my clothes are unisex or men's clothing. No person but my siblings have criticized this choice, and they don't care about the unisex clothes.

If you need any dressing tips, you can ask me. Good luck on your journey :slight_smile:

7. tomboyprettyboy

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you! as for dressing, I have my own style, in this period I'm kinda confused about what I should wear, but it's not the problem, I'm just really aiming to understand if I want to live as a man or as a woman, so I looked for hints about dysphoria and other stuff but it's getting really complicated and living as both seems kinda complicated too
    I'm scared not only to not find love but to loose all friends and end up being alone