1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Variations within transgender - types?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Cailan, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Cailan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My MtF husband (no,not misgendering him, he still goes by him) has interesting ways to explain who he is and what his transition target is, because it isn't the stereotype of a trans woman.

He has at various times described himself as being a butch lesbian and a masculine woman. Similarly I overheard him explain to his brother that he is trans the way his uncle is gay - "You know how Uncle X is gay but not swish." His idea of dressing as a woman is jeans and a flannel shirt. It is apparently how most of the female figures in his life dressed while he was growing up in the 1960s and 70s.

Mostly people just think he's a left-over hippy with his long hair and clothing choices. Which is mostly true.

I was wondering how much variation you have seen among trans folk?

2. EverDeer

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I mean, I have a FtM friend who wears long skirts and tall-heeled boots and frilly sort of goth-Victorian shirts... there are just all kinds of expressions no matter the person, cis or trans. I feel I personally rest a little more on the "boy" side of my gender, but I don't have much of a desire (or money) at this point to change anything about my body but I still feel fine just dressing in a way that probably just gets me viewed as a really casual girl, the most feminine I really go is enjoying detailed sweaters... I've seen trans men who dress in sweet Lolita fashion before or fairy kei (if you google it, it looks like pretty stereotypically girly attire) just as I've seen people who are very androgynous / masculine but still identify as women. Gender roles and expression mean almost next to nothing compared to ones inner self.

3. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's pretty individual. as I've said, along with many of my fellow trans friends, there's no right or wrong way to be Trans*

4. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I keep my hair at shoulder lenght, which seems pretty rare for trans guys. I also don't really care if people think I'm feminine, but I'm not really anyway. I just don't let me being a guy affect my interests.

Over all, there is as many ways to be trans as there are trans people.

5. anthracite

anthracite Guest

I'm growing my hair too. It's still a masculine style. But I love cars and guns haha.

There are some masculine transguys, even some stereotypically gay transguys, whatever we are all trans.