1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I feel genderqueer but identify as female

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by juxlia, Apr 18, 2017.

1. juxlia

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hello,
    My whole life I've identified as cisgender female. Lately I've been questioning this quite a bit. Most days I feel feminine (but not overly girly). Some days, especially recently, I feel more masculine - baggy sweaters and jeans, sneakers, less makeup, etc. I know that it could be just a "tomboy" type thing but I'm not sure, as it seems to depend on the day. I am happy as a girl, and I have no desire to identify as male. I use she/her pronouns, but would be willing to use they/them as well.
    I was thinking perhaps genderqueer, but I'm not sure.
    Any thoughts or stories would be greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

2. Dryad

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to be like that too. Some days I dressed and acted more masculine, some days I used to be much more feminine. I use past tense because now the two "modes" have merged quite a lot. They're still there, but I can be masculine with a skirt and feminine with baggy clothes, and I feel it's much more fluid than it used to be. I remember feeling almost "dysphoric" (if that's what dysphoria feels like) at the idea of wearing a dress, during some days. Like "no, why do I even have that, I can't wear it, I should give it to a girl". And other days I'd be like "give me the long skirt and braid my hair, I'm an Earth Goddess". :lol: Now I feel like I've created my own way and it's liberating, like no piece of clothing or make-up can "invalidate" it. It's not necessarilly masculine or feminine, or it's both at the same time, or depending on the time of the day, or... I don't know, I am what I am. :lol:
    As for pronouns, I don't care. Most people see me as a woman and address me as "she", I'm ok with it. I'm equally fine with "they". I don't feel like "he" would be fit for me, I've got it a couple of times and didn't bother to correct the other person. I mean, I don't mind it, but I don't know if I'd be comfortable being called that all the time. I feel I'm on the genderqueer side, but feel no need to come out as such, it would be a hassle.

3. Foxfeather

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Genderqueer is such a broad definition, and it was what I thought I was too (now I'm trans but still closeted and in denial). You define your labels. Remember English doesn't have all the words necessary to define gender identities.

4. Cailan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I see genderqueer as a catch-all category for pretty much everything that is "out of the box" ie not something already defined within the traditional gender spectrum, such as bi-gender, genderfluid, agender and androgyne, demi-boy and demi-girl. Each of those are defined by their relationship to the binary of male or female.

5. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I can empathize to a point. I've never really identified with other girls; I've always felt very different from them. I don't care for jewelry apart from the one necklace i wear everyday. I never do makeup, actually don't even know how. I just put my hair up and that's that, i don't ever do anything special with it. I always wear skinny jeans and a t-shirt, sweater, or a tank top or something. But at the same time the only boyish thing about me is my love for video games. Yet despite all this i have always identified as a girl.

6. juxlia

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thank you for this!
    The label seems right when I say it, but I'll hold off for a bit until I know for sure.
    Thanks for the responses everyone, much appreciated.

7. Cailan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  8. juxlia

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
  9. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Keep in mind that gender expression is not a good way to discern your gender identity. It is very common to enjoy crossdressing with around 10% of men (despite the social stygma) crossdressing and a larger percent of women doing so. Freedom of expression and actions is also an important part of growing up as a woman and one way to express that part of yourself is through choice of clothes. What does matter with regards to gender identity is how you identify, what your inner sense of self and being is. Does describing yourself as a woman feel wrong to you? Do you not feel at home in your body? As if you are wearing a mask? This isn't something that should be taken lightly as family members feel a very real sense of loss when you come out as trans no matter how accepting they are. We are a part of each others lives and their memories and image of you is heavily marked by their perception of your gender. Unfortunately, if you are trans, there isn't really much choice as living life behind a mask can be truly horrible and the emptiness never really goes away. I do hope you find your answers, always remember that you have as long as you need to figure out how you are. (*hug*)