1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting Used to a New Name?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by FurryDaFox, Apr 18, 2017.

1. FurryDaFox

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hey!

So within the last 2 weeks I've come out to my friends and I've asked them to use the name Kimberly. In my head I like this name and I like it written down but when my friends use it, I feel really nervous. I just get pretty anxious and uncomfortable.

Is this a normal part of coming out and getting used to a new name or could it mean that I don't like how "Kim" is said aloud?

Thanks for answers!

~Kimberly xxx

2. EverDeer

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It could just be apart of getting used to the name if it's quite different sounding than your birthname, that's part of why I tried to choose one that had a somewhat similar sound to my first (both of my name's start with "K") however, if in time you come to realize that it's just not the right name for you and you don't totally connect with it, that's okay too and you might one day change it.

But, it's normal even for cis people or just people don't change their names to not like some variation of it. For example, someone named Samantha might just simply hate it when people call her Sam, or visa versa. I personally have been called Kippy before in the past and it definitely just feels annoying as opposed to Kipp, which I strongly connect with. So maybe you just don't prefer being called Kim and like the full-length Kimberly better. It alright to tell people that you don take well to having the nickname Kim and that most people should just call you Kimberly... or you could think of a preferable offshoot like Kimmy, etc. ...it just depends really!

#2 EverDeer, Apr 18, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  3. Casey221B

I think for most people there's a period of adjustment with a new name. I mean, you've been called one name your entire life, and now you're switching. Even if you love the name, it might take some time.

4. FrogCAT

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My guess is it's totally normal to feel the way you do, just give it time and you should be fine. Personally, I get to sidestep this issue by just changing one letter of my name, from Sidney to Sydney. It almost feels like cheating.

5. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Definitely will take some getting used to. Maybe give it another month and if you still aren't feeling it, it's not too late to try something else.

6. Lacybi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I feel exactly the same way. I came out to a few friends at the same time and it felt weird for all bar one of them to call me Seth. I think it just takes getting used to but if it's not sorted in the next few weeks maybe you'd want to have a think.