1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interview outfit

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by musicheals315, Apr 18, 2017.

1. musicheals315

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think I should be having an in-person interview for a new job in the next week or so. I had been questioning whether I would try and present more androgynously or masculinely, or just go with the clothes I already own and try to balance out (what seems to me) my more masculine haircut, but dressing more feminine. After trying on my old clothes I feel like it is too uncomfortable to wear those and that it would be setting a precedent that I'm female with a short hair-style rather than reading as androgynous or masculine, which is what I feel most comfortable as. So I went out and got a new dress shirt (button-up, collared, long sleeve shirt...in pink, just to mess with everyone haha). I tried on a few different styles of pants, but couldn't find any that I really liked or felt looked right and I don't have much time. When I was the shirt on I was wearing my blue/slate gray khaki style shorts and felt it looked really good with the shirt, but was wondering whether it is appropriate to wear shorts to an interview? One thing to keep in mind, I live in Arizona where it is already reaching the mid 90's during the day, so I feel that a lot of the "typical" interview outfit etiquette is less important here. In the past I have worn dresses that have just a small cap sleeve covering my shoulders and are about knee length without wearing nylons/tights underneath, so to me it seems fair that I could wear shorts especially if pairing it with a long-sleeve shirt. Also, it is not a corporate kind of job, it's a job working in the education/psychology field, so it's been my experience that things are a little more lax in this field, I also have to be prepared to potentially jump into working with the children that could be my clients, so I feel like it's better to dress slightly more casual than would typically be expected of an interview. Any thoughts?

2. Worker Bee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would say if you feel that shorts would be appropriate wear for the job you are interviewing for then that's fine