1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some rambling about gender and dysphoria

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Kafei, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Kafei

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am a trans male.

However, I feel uncomfortable calling myself a "man". I typically stick to boy or guy or anything else implying my male gender other than "man". I don't really know why. Is it because I don't yet see myself as an adult? Is it because I don't "fully" identify as male? I don't know. And I don't really think it matters.

Sometimes I think I may be genderfluid or another non-binary gender. I'm cool with they/them pronouns, and she/her doesn't bother me as long as the person doesn't know better (if they know I use he/him pronouns but call me she/her anyway, that's another story).

While I am a male, I identify more with femininity than masculinity. I prefer spending time with girls/other feminine people. I love stererotypically girly things. Sometimes I even want to wear makeup and dresses.

It can get to the point where I question my entire transition. Am I really a boy? Is this even worth it if I don't care that much? What am I even doing?

And then I remember that the me in my head is not the same as my real physical self.

The me in my head is taller, leaner. Sharper jawline and better hair. Flat chest, wider shoulders.
    The real me is short, stocky, and curvy. I've got big ol' hips and a chest I'd like to pretend didn't exist.

The feminine-presenting me isn't the real one, it's the ideal one. The body I want to see in dresses and makeup is completely different from the one that exists, and the dysphoria kills me every time I realize this.

Maybe I am wrong about my gender. That would be fine. I don't think I am, though. I think I'm very much a boy. A gender non-conforming boy. And I just wish the dysphoria would go away so I could embrace that to the fullest.

2. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't stray too much from traditional masculinity in general and have no desire to, though I know plenty of transguys who do. But I had a hard time thinking of myself as a man as well before T started making me look more like one. Before I just thought of myself as a guy or a dude.

3. Xe O

Hey, I just wanted to say, that I feel the same as you and you could say I identify with your words. You're not alone with this thing.
    I guess it's no good adivice but I'm doing quite fine most of the time by completely ignoring my appearents and avoiding mirrors to the fulliest.
    These thoughts or things you like or dislike don't make you any less of a boy/dude/man.