1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cool academics specializing in gender identity?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by KitSylph, Apr 20, 2017.

1. KitSylph

Out Status:
    Some people
    I've been searching for professors whose focus is gender identity in all its forms to make a connection about research, but I've been having trouble finding people who pay attention to this specific area. Does anyone know of good people working in that field, whether you know them personally or just by their writing or research?

2. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    try contacting the gender studies department at local universities.

3. KitSylph

Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks, Sarah. I haven't had much luck with this, because there are a lot of sub-specialties within gender studies, and they mostly seem to be about cis women (not that this isn't a good thing! We have millenia of marginalization of women to untangle). Unfortunately, gender identity doesn't seem to be a common sub-specialty. Actually, a good friend of mine is a gender studies professor at a top college, and she doesn't really deal with this issue at all.

The first thing I think of when I hear "gender" is "gender identity," but I think for a lot of people, the topic that comes to mind in connection with that word is "women" (specifically cis women).

4. AaronV

The only person I know (not personally) is Judith Butler. Some transpeople I know dislike her but I found some good aspects in her writing. I've most recently read her essay "Performative Acts and Gender Constitution" which mostly talks about how gender is constructed. I bet she's written something on gender identity though.

There's also Chase Ross, he's not a professor but has written some papers on transpeople. (Mostly on transguys.) You can find them if you google "Chase Ross thesis".

5. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i dont know if you want to stay US specific but try the University of Victoria in British Columbia, Canada. i know they've done some extensive work around Trans issues.

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is there a specific subset of gender studies you are interested in? Knowing the area of study would help in finding a person or program with that expertise.

7. KitSylph

Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for the suggestions so far! Chip, I'm hoping to connect with people who are interested in gender identity, especially if they have an interest in non-binary genders.