1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to get my mom to ask me

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Quniverse, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Quniverse

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So as I become more comfortable with myself the more and more I want to tell my mom about being nonbinary. Problem is, every time I work myself up I chicken out. I want her to approach me about it because then I can't back out of telling her. Dressing more masculinely hasn't worked because she thinks I'm just "dressing gay". Anyone have any suggestions on how to prompt her to ask?

(More context as to what I'm working with; she caught me staring at a National Geographic magazine about gender and bought it for me. That didn't prompt any discussion. I think she assumed I wanted to become more informed about different genders.)

2. Najlen

My mom has asked/ almost asked a couple of times. I've had a couple discussions about pronouns with her because she didn't used to even try to use correct pronouns for people (she's a little better now) and she's asked me what pronouns I want her to use in response to those discussions. You could try something like that, opening a discussion about gender and seeing if she takes the bait. If she doesn't that could be a good segue into coming out if you feel comfortable. It sounds like you have a pretty good starting point already since she bought you that magazine. You could tell her it was really interesting and ask if she wants to read it or what she thinks about the issues it brought up.