1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much was your top surgery?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Foxfeather, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Foxfeather

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    How much was your top surgery, for FTM? If you could break down costs and tell me which state you live in, that would be helpful too. I'm trying to figure out what to do about my dysphoria and I really think that if I had the money just there, I'd like to get myself "fixed" even if it means that I may be seen as unattractive to lesbians. I'm trying really really hard to live authentically and this is closer to the real me than anything else.

2. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Without insurance, top surgery can generally run you $3000-$9000, depending on where you go. Also, why worry about what lesbians might think if you aren't one?

3. RileyWeaves

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Do you know if it's still possible to get insurance to cover that? I've heard of other countries having insurance that helps pay for it under certain conditions, and I was wondering if that was a thing you (or anyone else) know about, in the states. ( The current policy changes (namely from capitol hill) have me incredibly lost on what is and isn't actually available, and for how long. )

4. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Many people get it covered with insurance, though what you can expect with copays will vary. If I find the list, I'll pull it up. It's a little dated, but it has a list of known insurance companies that cover trans related issues. Also, a lot of surgeons do a thing where you can pay it off over a period of time as well, sort of like college debt over the course of a few months or years (depending on their policies).

Here in Pennsylvania, Gov. Wolf passed a law banning trans-exclusion policies from insurance plans. While my provider did say trans surgical procedures are covered, they weren't able to tell me more than that since they're still gathering all that information. If you have insurance, try giving your provider a call to what they would and won't cover.

#4 Daydreamer1, Apr 27, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2017