1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

National trip and names/presentation

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by love dont judge, Apr 26, 2017.

1. love dont judge

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, it's been awhile since I posted here. But anyways, recently I competed in this thing called National History Day. I made it to the state level, which was exciting because I was the first one from my school to do it. But then, my night got even better when they announced my name as one of the two senior division individual documentaries advancing to the National level from my state, which is a huge honor. So anyways, I get to go to the University of Maryland/Washington D.C. for basically a week. I'm not going to know anyone there, so I'll have to make some friends amongst the other 50 or so students that make up Team Wisconsin. Since ill be away from my parents and with these people who I more than likely will never see again for a week, I've been debating on whether or not to present as myself and go by female pronouns/my preferred name while there, with the exception of roll call and my project. However, being as I've never met anyone, im kind of uncertain as to how I would go about doing this. I'd appreciate any thoughts/suggestions that anyone would have on my situation/dilemma. Thanks!

2. RileyWeaves

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would go for it. I actually tried to compete the one year I was in standard public high school- it seems to me (based on what I heard while there) that most people going to the competition wouldn't really care, especially if you're out at school. You might face a little bit of childish hate but in the long run you could make some valuable friends. Plus, it's in what I understand to be a fairly progressive area of the country, and all of the people there are probably more concerned with their projects, than with starting up issues (at least one can hope).

Super big congratulations for making it to nationals! That takes a lot of work.

3. love dont judge

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks! That's my hope as well. However, the more I lean towards just going for it, the more skeptical I am of it actually working. Like, I have absolutely no idea how to go about informing people of it. I'd appreciate any suggestions/advice to help out with this.

4. love dont judge

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I guess my problem isn't so much whether to do it but more a matter of coming out to them all. I guess this would be a new experience for me as I've never introduced myself to strangers before or even come out to anyone who I don't know. Does anyone have any coming out tips for me to help when I tell my group of six kids and adult chaperone?