1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Difference between a dildo and a dilator?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Natasha Elyssa, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Natasha Elyssa

Bit of a weird topic, but I've seen a handful of people online who either confuse a dilator for a dido (or the other way around) or make comparisons between the two. So I just randomly remembered seeing a few comments here and there about this, and it got me thinking. What are the differences between a dildo and a dilator? Can a dildo be a dilator? Can a dilator be a dildo? I've heard that a major difference is that dilating isn't pleasurable, whereas playing with a dildo is. I mean, of course they serve different purposes, but what really are the differences? I know one's for play, one's for more serious business, but any other details besides that? Also, on a side note, what is dilating like? Considering that I want to eventually get srs, what's the post op like? I've seen a lot of people say things, but I want to know the facts. I see plenty of people talk, but I'm not so sure that they're necessarily experts in the matter. I figured, what better place to get an answer to questions like this than here. You know? :slight_smile:

2. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The main difference is of course- as you said, one is used for sexual pleasure and the other is a medical object that's used to stretch the vagina out to make sexual activity (or even some medical procedures) more comfortable. Dilators are usually much smaller and designed to help "work your way up".

It's like the difference between a penis and a pap smear. You get penetrated by both, but for different reasons. People don't really get pleasure from the latter; It's just a tedious thing that you have to do for your health.

From what I know, most trans women don't enjoy dilating, and some are so put off by the fact they have to do this that they reject the idea of surgery all together. I think it gets easier with time though. I mean, even cis women may have to do it if they have certain medical conditions. Just view it as a medical thing you need to do if you want to enjoy actual penetration properly.

3. Natasha Elyssa

Thank you for the reply! You gave me just the answer I was looking for! ^♡^

I was wondering what the differences were because other people got me thinking, and now I have my answer. Thank you! ^-^ <3