1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Taking hormone blockers? Non-binary

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Watson42, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Watson42

Hi,

So i've been questioning my gender identity for over a year now. i dont believe i FTM and have more or less settled as non-binary. I very rarely pass as male and when it does happen it makes me really happy. i am becoming more anxious and frustrated being identified as female though. Ive come across the concept of hormone blockers, such as Lupron. I like the idea of hormone blockers more than taking a low dose of testosterone because i feel there isnt as much commitment, however im 19, so I was just wondering if anyone has ever taken this or something similar and what changes, if any they noticed?

~ Alex

2. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, hormone blockers aren't a long term solution. It's unhealthy for you to go too long without estrogen or testosterone in your body in regular amounts. They're generally used to pause puberty in younger trans people who aren't sure about hormones yet or are too young to start hormones.

Also, my understanding is that hormone blockers don't really cause any changes. They will stop your period, and if you were still going through puberty they would prevent any more changes from occurring, but they won't undo changes that have already occurred.

3. RileyWeaves

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I heard the same thing- Hormone blockers don't do much for people once they've finished most r all of puberty, and it's unhealthy (like, damaging to bones level of unhealthy) to go without one or the other hormone in your system (regrettably). It could be possible to go on T and then just shave regularly. I've also heard of ways you can prevent your hair from falling out (cis men use it, but I don't remember what it's called). I don't know if there's any way to save your voice from T, if you're worried about that. It probably depends on what changes you're wanting to happen, whether you should start T or not.
    If you do find out more info, it'd be great if you let me know- I'm still unsure if I'm nonbinary or FtM so yeah. :slight_smile: Good luck.

4. Watson42

Thank you so much for your help. I think I had a realisation and want to take a low dose with Testosterone