1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Passport problems ahhhh!

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by UntitledT, Apr 28, 2017.

1. UntitledT

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    HI,
    I would say the title is a bit overdramatic, but in my situation, I need it. Sooo here's the story; I'm legally getting my first and middle name changed on the 4th of May. I've just turned 18 so I'm in need for a passport since my old one expired. In order to travel to Canada later in the month, then going to my old high school's prom (you need ID), and finally at the end of June, I'm going to Scotland and Iceland for a family vacation, I'll definitely need a new passport. Even with expedited shipping, I will still have my old name on my new passport. Yes, this bothers me a bit, because the name represented won't be me, but thats the least of my worries. I'd be 500% okay with using my old passport till after those events so I can actually apply for a completely new one, but my main worries are in the forms of such;

1. Not knowing what to fill out on my prom application form, which is due before the name change
    2. Not really knowing if customs can see that my name has recently been changed, and will I get stopped for that

If anyone has had similar experiences regarding their timing of name change and keeping their old name on passports going overseas, I'd really like to know if I could get stopped and deported or something to that nature. My family flies frequently (TSA Pre check and all... idk if that helps) out of the US, no criminal record what so ever [I don't know if that would be any help], and for those who have changed their name; would a legal docket number thats received once the name change has been processed be sufficient enough verification if i run into problems? Also my name on my flight ticket is my old one, so my "new" passport with my old name would match, causing no TSA bullshit. I've tried to google this but no one seems to be in the same boat as me, and my scheduled court date is honestly the only day I can do. Thanks for any input. Navigating the "adult world" as an 18 year old frankly sucks ass, and if ANYONE knows ANYTHING on this topic, I could really use some help. (New Jersey resident, if that affects any of this)
    :help::help::help::help::help:

2. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As long as the name on your passport matches your boarding pass then all should be good. Customs won't have any idea of the name change until you inform them so you shouldn't have trouble with that. I say put your preferred name on your prom application and once your name change is done apply for a provisional driving license under that name so you have legit ID for the future until your passport is sorted under the name name but in the end it's up to you.