1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bigender question

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Quniverse, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Quniverse

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Does bigender straight up mean you have/bounce between/however you do you with two genders? Like, any two genders? Can I be considered bigender if I go between trans boy and agender? Or is bigender exclusive to boy and girl?

2. WeDreamOfPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Bigender is experiencing any two gender identities. That's man/woman, woman/agender, demiboy/demigirl, pretty much any two gender identities.

Peace & cake

3. Black Rose

The bouncing between genders would be more similar to being genderfluid or genderflux. From my understanding bigender persons feel that they have two genders at the same time.

4. RileyWeaves

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I thought genderfluid was moving anywhere on the scale (not just bouncing between two genders).

Berkley.edu says "A person whose gender identification and presentation shifts, whether within or outside of societal, gender-based expectations." (I used the link in Useful/Helpful/Informative Threads and Links on Gender Identity under the Gender Identity/Expression section of the Forum.)

So I guess it's up to you. I think it is partially left up to each person for their interpretation, but Berkley and a bunch of other places (listed in that same thread) define some of the more common terms.

5. EverDeer

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Bigender can mean switching between any two genders, or having any two genders just in general. You can switch between them, or experience them both at the same time. I think the main difference I've seen between people who enjoy bigender versus genderfluid is a genderfluid person tends to flow between different that correspond to their gender(s) where as a bigender person sort of feels like there's an even split between the two. For example, although I call myself nonbinary most often, I prefer bigender over genderfluid because I typically only float between being a boy or being agender. It's like, some days I strongly want to be called a boy and I hold myself more like one, and other days I'm just indifferent and a bit softer, I don't really try and "blend" things like a genderfluid person might, I'm more comfortable being one or the other and can assess how I'm feeling when I wake up, for example. Ones more of a light switch, on or off, and the other is more of one of those light switches that you can slide that dims or brightens. But to answer your question, yes bigender can mean any two genders, not just binary ones.

BubbleButt likes this.
  6. Cailan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm with Kipper. I have female and (demi?) male sides, and that's about it. Both are always there to some degree and when I'm not paying attention they'll mix, with the strongest bits of both. I'm most comfortable when I'm in either the all girl or all guy mode. Those middle spaces are an uncomfortable, dysphoric place for me, but I find myself stuck there more often than I like.

Genderfluid is when you also live comfortably in the spaces between the genders, not always one or the other.