1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thought I was MtF, Now Just Confused & Despaired

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by ExileOn9thSt, Apr 28, 2017.

1. ExileOn9thSt

Alot's happened since I made my last thread here. Coming back because I'm in a lot of confusion.

I'm AMAB, and I've been questioning my gender for a few months now. I went from (re?)discovering my feminine side, and initially thinking maybe I was on the nonbinary spectrum, to feeling unsatisfied with that and having some of those feelings fade etc, and thus partly burying it. Then eventually I came back to it and dived into my feminine side deeper than ever before, and found myself really liking it, and wanting more of it... I started dressing as a girl in private whenever I could and presenting feminine in my online spaces, and even started removing body hair and stuff.

I came to feel like the signs strongly pointed towards me being transgender. And so, I made the tentative decision to take those feelings and go with it. I even came out to some people. I was that confident. I started presenting female even more deeply where I could. Nearly immediately I had people coming to me for advice with their gender-related issues, believe it or not. And I stood steadfast in what I'd felt I'd discovered for myself. I've always wanted to be a girl on some level, so the realization that I could transition felt like a dream come true.

And then a week later it all came crashing down. All of a sudden I went from feeling ecstatic about finding my identity and having feelings of gender euphoria as I'd think about the changes I hope to have down the road, to suddenly feeling like a guy again and losing my confidence in everything. It's been 3 days of doubts now and I find myself disturbingly barely feeling any gender conflicts at all, and feeling anxious whenever I try to inhabit my feminine space. All attempts at reassuring myself don't hold. I've been laying in my bed wanting to die.
    I need some help... I'm too shy and embarrassed to talk to my friends. There's no gender therapists for 100s of miles and I can't afford the alternatives. I could have finally told my normal therapist yesterday, but I just stiffly sat there instead, frozen in embarrassment and self-doubt.

I don't even know what I feel. I feel trapped in some type of haze in-between everything; that I'm something, but yet nothing. I desperately don't want to be a guy, but something inside myself that I can't control stubbornly sits there hazily insisting "MALE", and I can feel my old self beckoning like an old friend... But I don't want to go to him. I desperately want to be a girl like I've desired for so long, but I'm no longer able to feel like she's me and I feel like a sham, and I feel like I'm not displaced enough in my own gender role to justify occupying that space.

I know it's possible that I'm genderfluid (which was my original guess) or something else nonbinary, and maybe that's why these feelings fade from time to time; and I know those are perfectly valid identities. But the thought of myself being one of those makes me want to (sorry to be graphic :c I'm very depressed) drive a heavy spike into my head and end it all because I feel like I'll be doomed to confusion.... I couldn't live in a state of flux. And I hate the thought that my self would ever want to be male if I could be female.

I should be able to feel like... if I want to transition, if it would make me happy, I should be able to just do it; and sometimes I can convince myself of that, but it only brings me confidence for about 5 minutes before my calm is driven out by anxiousness again... the feeling of something not right maybe? I don't even know.... My dress has been stuffed back into the drawer again and I don't know if I'll ever feel completely right about it again. All this after having amazing feelings of gender euphoria from being female... How does that just... disappear? Where does it go?

I don't know who I am. I'm scared of the answers. I don't know what to do or where to go.

If you guys can give me any help at all, I'd appreciate it :c

2. Black Rose

Been there I know it sucks. It's a very weird feeling to have all this conviction and then poof gone (literally just had that happen to me this past week as well) so you're not alone don't forget that.

My advice is keep in mind a few things: first off you could be genderfluid but not be male. What I mean by that is a person could bounce between agender and female. A term I found the other day which I liked was called Demiflux. The idea that one gender stays constant (perhaps in your case a more female side), but another can shift in and out.

It could also be a bit of (I hesitate to use the term, but I can't come up with a much better one) guilt or second guessing yourself. In a way everything felt right, yet how we were raised and in this case a more "traditional" idea of gender is still installed in us from birth so you may just be struggling with that. I always felt that while going through this my conviction was often met later on by a naysayer in the back of my head which would make me feel guilty and "wrong" for feeling a particular way.

My best advice would be to just do what feels right to you cliched advice I know, but there is no formula to this. (I really wish there were though XD). And do not let the voice in your head tell you that your feelings are wrong. No one's feelings can be wrong and we are often too hard on ourselves. For me it helps to picture that voice as a person and imagine pushing them away from me when it tries to make me feel guilty for the way I feel.

I hope that helps. Stay strong <3

3. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Honestly, you simply sound like you are a trans woman who is during the acceptance phase of transitioning, it is completely normal to have doubts and to take some time to completely come to terms with who you are. Think of how awful you've felt since the doubts started, is that feeling of dysphoria your body's way of telling you that the doubts are wrong and you are simply a woman?

Transitioning isn't easy for anyone, it doesn't happen naturally and you often need to be patient and let your mind work through all your doubts and fears before reaching the point when you are ready to take more steps forward. Remember that people often wait months for doctor appointments and it can take a long time for HRT to work.The journey also has a lot of ups and downs, moments of the deepest depression and hopelessness mixed with moments of euphoria and happiness.

Try to take a break from thinking about it for a bit until you feel ready to continue, watch a film or play a game and let the anxieties and dysphoria subside.

You are doing fine and you should be proud of how much you've done already and how far you've come,

Much love and hugs,

(*hug*)

Eveline

#3 Eveline, Apr 28, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  4. ExileOn9thSt

I guess something like that's possible. Maybe I'd be generally male with my female side showing Itself from time to time. I'd so much rather just be one thing or the other tho... bleh. Also, speaking of agender, I have had feelings that make me feel like I could relate to that somewhat tbh.

I just... really, really hope to not find myself on the nonbinary spectrum tho... I just don't know how I could live like that. I wouldn't know how to deal with that kind of flux. And I can't see it leaving me very happy. But it seems like the signs might not be in my favor.

This is also possible. I was raised in a pretty conservative home.

But idk.

Thank you!!! <3 hugs

---------- Post added 29th Apr 2017 at 01:38 AM ----------

It's possible... It does feel awful. And like... You'd think if I actually were male, feeling like I was male would be relieving... you'd think?

But I'm not sure ^^; It's hard to shake off that unwanted voice that feels like it's trying to tell you you're just a dude... Or to know whether to believe it. Like, what if I just worked myself up so much to the idea of being a transgirl that I'm trying to push myself into something I'm not? That's scary :s And would be so disappointing if it turns out to be all it was... My trans friends are all so beautiful and awesome and I want to have what they have so bad...

That's a good point. And yea, I know whatever happens, it's gonna be a long road. I'm sure there's a lot to discover about myself yet even. But god, this is... such a hard and discouraging bump in the road... :c

Good idea; I'm kinda trying to that. Especially since I suffer from anxiety issues as it is. Just trying to move on with things and not think about it for a bit... But it feels like I can only go so far before the thoughts come flooding back and make me feel awful and sick again...

Thank you!!! c': hugs back

5. Marbabar

Oh goodness, I'm so thankful for your post Exileon9thst. This has been my experience almost exactly, and it's actually a relief to see that it's not just me.

I don't want to be a poser, jumping on a trans bandwagon now that there is suddenly so much visibility. I don't want to be an attention seeker. I worry I've talked myself into something that isn't real, or that I've exaggerated. I was feeling great, talked to my spouse, bought some clothes to dabble with at home, felt amazing. Then almost suddenly, I felt ridiculous, my maleness re-exerted itself and my women's clothes felt like a costume. But putting it all away and resting back into my male identify makes me feel anxious and depressed too. I desperately want to be either a man or a woman, but not something in between, which would be such an unsettled way to live. But while I feel like I must surely be a woman, I also don't feel all that much of a disconnect from being a man.

Blackrose and Eveline's advice is good and helpful. But mostly, Exileon9thst, just hearing your experience is balm to my wounds.

6. WeDreamOfPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Best response. I remember puzzling over like a dozen gender identities before finally accepting that I was a woman. Or am a woman. *Language confusion*

Peace

7. ExileOn9thSt

:3c Well I'm glad to hear that

I know how relieving it is to find people's stories that match your own experiences...

And yea, the responses thus far have been comforting and helpful.

As far as what I can really say... It does sound like you're going thru the same type of thing as myself. But I can't really give the answers to you, cuz I'm beginning to learn that our identity isn't something one can ever truly prove either way; and especially not by someone other than yourself. No matter how many other people's experiences we compare ourselves to, or how many "Am I Trans?" articles we read, the validity of our own identity is subjective to only our own experiences... There's no objective proof or scale or measure out there to tell us what we are or we aren't. We can only evaluate ourselves on our own, and try to believe in how we feel without forcing ourselves to provide some kind of hard, cold evidence that doesn't and will never exist.

Honesty, if we're questioning this far, we're most likely not cis, and we probably already know deep down what we want. And remember that it's not like other people haven't had these same doubts.

I'm not fully out of the woods yet myself, but those are some things that have helped me a bit ^^;

---------- Post added 29th Apr 2017 at 05:57 PM ----------

It haven't fully regained my confidence yet, but I'm feeling like this is probably what'll happen to me lol ^^