1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trans hate?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Chloe123, May 3, 2017.

1. Chloe123

Chloe123 Guest

Hi. On my path to slowly growing the confidence to come out I'm repeatedly being pushed back and having doubts thrust into my mind because of haters.

In my opinion (sorry if you disagree) I believe that trans people get the most hate out of all LGBT people. Today at school I heard somebody repeating the old "I identify as an attack helicopter" meme. They don't know I'm trans but it still stings. And that came from a gay guy. Who was one of my friends

I'm not the most popular person in the school. Come to think of it I'm probably one of the least popular. I just don't fit in with the people around me. And when the people around me already don't like me and find another excuse to hate me then it's not good. Not at all.

Not like it'll stop me. I just need advice. How do you stop the haters? Do you feel trans people are the worst off out of LGBT people? Have you lost any friends after coming out?
    Anyway. That's it for now. Reply and let me know what you think

2. DarkWhite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: Transgender HATE

Hey, I agree with you. Unfortunately MtF gets much more hate then FtM. At least that´s how it looks like to me.

But yea all transgenders gets hate. I think it´s because people think we are just trying to be interesting and unusual. While they know absolutely nothing about what´s going on.

I´m not that surprised it came from gay guy. Sure it´s hypocritical but all his problem is basically his orientation (no offense to gay people) so he can see it basicaly like straight person. Unnaturall, weird, trying to be interesting, just confused it will overcome. Yep it sucks. I´m sorry to hear you have to deal with this. Maybe you should kinda point out to your friend that this is not exactly the best behavior.

As for friends, fortunately my two friends acceped it immediately and support me. I can tell it still seems weird to them, but they are trying. I hope your friends will be supportive too when you decide to come out :slight_smile:

3. Chloe123

Chloe123 Guest

Re: Transgender HATE

Thanks darkwhite. I'm glad you agree. Trans people do get lots of hate which is a large problem for people (such as me) who are thinking if coming out. Thanks anyway for the fast reply!

4. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The "attack helicopter" thing isn't an attack on trans people, it's an attack on tumblr and its trans-age, trans-race etc. community.

"Do you feel trans people are the worst off out of LGBT people?" - Hard to say, it's a big group. There are still gay people being thrown off buildings in some countries, whereas in others it's normalized the same as being straight. There are some cultures that accept trans* individuals (although some might not use the word "trans" exactly) , and others that don't. So to answer your question, it varies on what you are, where you're from, the place's culture and the people you surround yourself with.

"How to stop the hate"

I can't speak directly about trans issues, but normally growing up does a good thing. Or at least speaking for myself.

People learn to keep their mouth quiet, or form their own group of people so you don't have to hear it. People learn more opinions and facts, particularly at university, and learn new points of view and studies so that might change their mind.

You also grow up yourself, learn to sort out what issues you need to prioritize, meet new people who are the same as you or accept you, get involved in policy making to help you and others. Maybe just laugh it off or tune it out even if it's still a very bad thing for you since making a big deal about it might make them continue for the sake of it.

Right now, it might be hard to vocally do anything, but depending on your school you could ask for an LGBT assembly or life lesson. Have you got any LGBT clubs near you that might accept you? (as a warning, not all LGBT clubs will. I don't want to scare you, but I don't want you to be uninformed)

Hope this helps.

#4 Secrets5, May 3, 2017
    Last edited: May 3, 2017
  5. anthracite

anthracite Guest

I love the attack helicopter and say it too sometimes. Don't overinterpret, probably they just mean that anglegender and kinstuff and transage and whatever.