1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dysphoria and sports

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by love dont judge, May 3, 2017.

1. love dont judge

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey. So last year, our school got a track team. I really wanted to do it, but ended up not because I wasn't in a good place emotionally and it wasn't going to work with my schedule at the time. But I still wanted to do it, as I wanted to have a sport in my list of extra-curricular activities and I thought it would be the least dysphoria inducing since it's almost completely individual, so I joined the team this year.

However, I thought wrong. It causes so much dysphoria, since I'm only racing with guys. I also have a problem looking at myself in the uniform. Even though it's the exact same as the girls, it seems to enhance the shape of my body more and it makes me extremely uncomfortable. One of the side effects of track has been that I'm more in shape now. However, I'm noticing more muscle mass on my arms from the weight lifting that we've been doing and a more defined abdomen from the ab workouts that we do.
    Of course, the natural solution would be to just drop out of track, right? However, I've really noticed a change in my mental health as a result. It's always pushing me to get out and move. The "Runner's high" and uniform also help take away from some... unfavorable... habits that I have. I feel happier and more alert, and some of the darkness has vanished from my mind.

Lately, as I've been noticing all of these changes, dysporia has just peaked and it's reached an almost unbearable point, where I'm crying all the time because it just feels "wrong". I don't want to quit as track has become one of my favorite parts of the year, but at this point I see no other alternatives. Does anyone have any advice on how to lessen the dysphoria or perhaps suggest another solution that I've missed. By the way, I'm 16 and my mother isn't the most accepting, so starting hrt is out of the question, for the moment, unfortunately.

2. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You could just run by yourself if you quit track. And in weightlifting, do low weight high reps to avoid getting bulky.

3. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Actually I'm pretty sure it's high weight low reps to avoid getting bulky. High weight gives you the right stress to build stronger muscles, rather than bulk. Bulk and strength are seperate things. See this article:
    https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/strength-training-101/

#3 SHACH, May 4, 2017
    Last edited: May 4, 2017