1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is it like being a girl?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by my7h, May 4, 2017.

1. my7h

So for over a year now I have been questioning my gender identity. I think I may be gender fluid but I always have the question that isn't answered. What is it like to be a girl? How does it feel? I'm so confused... I'm anatomically a male but... I'm still confused. Any help?

2. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel like for cis women, it wouldn't feel like anything. They tend to identify with their anatomy more than anything else.

For trans women, It's something deeper...something internal. A feeling like your body is wrong or out of place.

3. PrinceVegeta

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My point of view probably isn't the best, but I do have a rough description since I was born one:
    1.)You get bewbs on yer chest lmao (or lack of but the chest area is still soft anyway no matter how flat)
    2.) Curves, no matter if they are small or big there are curvesss . Lovely on other girls but something I am glad I was spared of having much of.
    3.)You get to pee sitting down and there's really nothing hanging between there either. It's a different feeling compared to having something down there. So like, imagine nothing hanging there?
    4.) You could grow your hair as long as you want an no one will question it because it is deemed as normal.
    5.)If you ever imagined yourself wearing something that you thought looked nice and it was in girls clothing, well, most female bodies of many different and lovely shapes can make those clothes look amazing. (though they look better naked in my opinion lmao)
    That's all I got.

4. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I would assume for someone with a nontraditional gender identity it goes deeper than just anatomy. I'll list shit as i think about it.

You're expected to have absolutely no body hair that isn't on your head. Even though it grows naturally. If you're moody a guy might joke about or assume you're just on your monthly which is annoying. Its not 100%, but girls i feel like are socialized different. At least in my circle growing up that's how it was. Compliments to young girls are usually superficial - you look so pretty, etc. A mother might coddle a daughter who falls and gets hurt but would not do the same for a son of similar age. Girls can be socialized with emphasis on being polite and considerate. Like with the so called gender wage gap i believe its mostly cause guys are socialized growing up to be more ambitious whereas a girl would be expected to accept the offer and not appear rude, ungrateful or whatever. Girls nowadays have a lot more freedom than, say, my great grandmother might've but there's still that expectation that if you're my age and not settled down with a husband and a baby then something's wrong with you. Similarly, if a wife chooses to work and her husband chooses to stay home then that arrangement would similarly look odd to most people because it would seem backwards. The old trope about the husband working to support the family with the wife staying home to care for the children and cook thing. Society's changed but the general expectation is still there - that the man will be devoted to work and the wife will be devoted to house and children, and kids are raised with that in mind.

Cue rant time...I think its obvious even just in kids toys. Pink versus blue. Dolls, kitchen stuff and stuffed animals versus cars, construction, sports, etc. But with little kids especially, play is not gendered - children learn through play. Children with older siblings will want to play with whatever their older sibling is playing with. There's a stage of development where play is largely role-playing, and this is where toys get gendered and i feel that they should not be. You need to wear multiple hats as an adult, after all.

5. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, it feels like what I am, who I am, the world that I live in, what I feel like and the simple understanding that this is me and they are them... boys. However, if you want to find a pattern behind the words, look at the nature of the replies in this thread, what makes sense to you and what is the gender of the person that is giving that reply. Look beyond the words at the color and spirit of the words, find the replies that make you feel at home with yourself. (*hug*)

RosieHeart likes this.
  6. Foxfeather

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I honestly feel a bit supressed by my birth gender because I was always a tomboy. Girls kind of put it on themselves too. this pressure to be like the other girls and to be socially accepted. I don't think boys feel it as much. And I also feel unsafe about walking alone at night because, trans man or not, I fear dark figures in the night. I wouldn't have the physical strength to fight off an attacker, should a weirdo happen to try anything.

I"m sure guys feel the same pressures, to be strong and athletic and the protector and to not cry, and I think they're harmful for everyone.

I feel petite and small and when i identified as a cis female, it was great. but now I don't see any practical upside to it and I want to change all of it. I want to be able to protect myself and others and I don't necessarily feel like my body limits that, it's just that cis guys are just naturally os much bigger and stronger. And for every 1000 good, kind-hearted men out there, there's always that 1 aggressive psycho who I still gotta watch out for at night, and he just ruins it for everyone, women and men. It's unfair how that happens.